Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Low Power Electric Pet Deterrent does not work

turgut kalfaoglu

Apr 10, 2015
Hello everyone; my first posting, I hope this is appropriate..

I recently built "Low Power Electric Pet Deterrent" from Marc's technical pages:
http://www.marcspages.co.uk/tech/6105.htm

I stayed very faithful to the original layout of the circuit, and double-checked everything.
However, I get no zapping output from the circuit.

1) I supply 220v live from the input on the left,
2) The circuit is well grounded, as I can see from Neon L1 lit all the time,
3) I get nothing from the "sting wire" , after building up courage, I touched the wire :)
4) The neon L2 blinks intermittently

If I remove the "car coil", and measure the voltage, I observe a steady 130v DC.
The ONLY change I made was to replace C1 1uF capacitor with 5 capacitors connected in parallel (because I didn't have a 1uF handy).

Any ideas what I should check? It's such a simple circuit, I don't understand why it fails to work.

Many thanks,
turgut

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
L2 blinking intermittently sounds good. It is an indication that the trigger circuit operates. With every blinking of L2 the triac should be triggered. The triac in turn will disscharge C through the transformer, thus creating a current pulse which will be transformed into a high voltage pulse.

Questions:
  1. C3 is rated for the max. voltage (at least Vmains_rms*1.42)?
  2. The car coils is mounted correctly (low voltage primary to C3, high voltage secondary to sting wire)?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The ONLY change I made was to replace C1 1uF capacitor with 5 capacitors connected in parallel (because I didn't have a 1uF handy).

so what caps did you use ? and were they high voltage rated ?