Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mag-Lite Batteries Fail?

W

W. eWatson

Jan 1, 1970
0
I just opened my Mag-lite flash light and found probably acid that had
spilled out of one or both batteries. The light was functioning modestly
several days ago. How do I clean out the debris? Baking soda in a small
amount of water???
 
T

Tom Biasi

Jan 1, 1970
0
I just opened my Mag-lite flash light and found probably acid that had
spilled out of one or both batteries. The light was functioning modestly
several days ago. How do I clean out the debris? Baking soda in a small
amount of water???

That will be OK if they are indeed acid batteries. For alkaline use
vinegar or lemon juice.
 
W

W. eWatson

Jan 1, 1970
0
That will be OK if they are indeed acid batteries. For alkaline use
vinegar or lemon juice.
Radio Shack alkaline.
 
W

W. eWatson

Jan 1, 1970
0
Lots of warm water, a little soap, and a bottle brush. Rinse and dry.

It's crazy that lots of purchases come with "heavy duty" or "industrial"
batteries, which are actually crappy zinc-carbon batteries with horrible shelf
lives, and that leak corrosive goo after a year or two. A good alkaline has a
10-year shelf life.
I'm going to replace them with Energizer Max, alkaline. The others were
RS alkaline. Still in the package. I can't see the battery time length.
I had some idea that I would return them, if I couldn't get the debris
out of the light. However, I'll have to take them out, to check if all
works. I think I have some in a radio, so maybe all is not lost.
 
E

ehsjr

Jan 1, 1970
0
Radio Shack alkaline.

As Tom said, use vinegar. Put some white vinegar in there and
scrub with a bottle brush. Repeat several times to be sure you've
got all the crud out. Then wash the vinegar out with isopropyl
alcohol.

Ed
 
J

Jasen Betts

Jan 1, 1970
0
I'm going to replace them with Energizer Max, alkaline. The others were
RS alkaline. Still in the package. I can't see the battery time length.
I had some idea that I would return them, if I couldn't get the debris
out of the light. However, I'll have to take them out, to check if all
works. I think I have some in a radio, so maybe all is not lost.

I lost a maglite to a leaked alkaline, something swelled up (perhaps
the maglite case) and I couldn't get the cell out with hand tools and
a vice.

It probably needs a drill-press or a lathe,
 
W

W. eWatson

Jan 1, 1970
0
....
I lost a maglite to a leaked alkaline, something swelled up (perhaps
the maglite case) and I couldn't get the cell out with hand tools and
a vice.

It probably needs a drill-press or a lathe,
I have x-ray eyes.

The question remains as to how what mixtures of these remedies are
required. Baking soda helped. I put in about a teaspoon, and filled the
handle with water. It did help, but still plenty left. I tried about 2
teaspoons of lemon juice, and filled the handle with water. Not real
effective.
 
...
I have x-ray eyes.

The question remains as to how what mixtures of these remedies are
required. Baking soda helped. I put in about a teaspoon, and filled the
handle with water. It did help, but still plenty left. I tried about 2
teaspoons of lemon juice, and filled the handle with water. Not real
effective.

If the batteries have swollen, no amount of baking soda or lemon juice
is going to get them back to the right size. If they're name-brand
(the bunny or the copper top), send the whole shootin' match back for
a replacement. You paid for the insurance when you bought the
batteries.
 
Top