Maker Pro
Maker Pro

magnetic switch activated alarm

mikeymuss669

Jun 5, 2011
Hello,
I assembled a circuit on a breadboard which is separated in 2 parts:
the right part is for generating an alarm which wails.
the left part is for starting the current flow to the first part when the magnet is detached from the reed switch.
Apparently the 1st part works (I get the wailing sound).
The second part almost works (the relay switches when I remove the magnet).
But no current passes through the negative part of the relay to the 1st part.
(I checked with the meter).
I attach a photo of the breadboard and the schematic, the components are :
three n2222 transistors
two n6027 programmable unijunction transistor
one 4001 diode
a dpdt 12v relay
a reed switch and a small magnet
(plus various capacitors and resistors)
The current is 12v dc:)

Attachments

• alarm-reedSw-breadB.jpg
    alarm-reedSw-breadB.jpg
    251.9 KB · Views: 506
  • schematic-relay-reedSw.gif
    schematic-relay-reedSw.gif
    9.5 KB · Views: 2,723
  • relay-reedSw.gif
    relay-reedSw.gif
    17.5 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there
Welcome to the forums :)

ahhh there's a number of probs with the relay cct you have drawn
I will do a redraw for you and you can see how it works for your use... ok :)
and post it soon

cheers
Dave

ok got a cct tested ... all ok :)

attachment.php

ok The changes .....
1) the diode should be across the relay to dampen the back EMF produced by the relay coil
2) you dont need a voltage divider across the Base of the transistor

I used a BC337 NPN, transistor, the relay I have used is only drawing 40mA, and that transistor can handle that easily

Attachments

• RelaySw.gif
    RelaySw.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,377
Last edited:

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
Mike; the circuit should work as such, though the 10k resistance is a bit high and may need a darlington to pull the relay fully.
What voltage do you see across the relay coil?
As opposed to the diagram I see you're also switching the negative supply to the wailer circuit.
Can you explain better what you mean with "But no current passes through the negative part of the relay to the 1st part"?

Dave; Mike's circuit uses normally closed switches and has a latching function. Your cct doesn't latch, and needs to use the NC contact on the relay.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Dave; Mike's circuit uses normally closed switches and has a latching function. Your cct doesn't latch, and needs to use the NC contact on the relay.

ohh crap, I overlooked the normally closed condition of the switches :rolleyes:
sorry

put it down to seriously under the weather with the flu. I only went to work today cuz we are doing stocktake else I would have been home in bed :(

Dave

mikeymuss669

Jun 5, 2011
thanks man but as Resqueline said I need the latching function so that the alarm stays on even when you put the magnet back on the reed-switch. Anyway I tried your solution and same thing happens the relay clicks but no wail.

mikeymuss669

Jun 5, 2011
Mike; the circuit should work as such, though the 10k resistance is a bit high and may need a darlington to pull the relay fully.
What voltage do you see across the relay coil?
As opposed to the diagram I see you're also switching the negative supply to the wailer circuit.
Can you explain better what you mean with "But no current passes through the negative part of the relay to the 1st part"?

well I get 10v (with magnet off) from the +/- ends of the relay coil.
What I mean is even though the relay clicks I don't get any current out of the - end of the relay switch (that black cable going to the wailer part).
I checked again and the wailer works, it's just that relay switch on the - end which is not working for some reason. Tried another relay... But no joy :(

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
well I get 10v (with magnet off) from the +/- ends of the relay coil.
What I mean is even though the relay clicks I don't get any current out of the - end of the relay switch (that black cable going to the wailer part).
I checked again and the wailer works, it's just that relay switch on the - end which is not working for some reason. Tried another relay... But no joy :(

in your cct diag you are NOT switching the negative rail to the wailer cct ONLY the positive

BUT in your component layout drawing you are using the other set of relay contacts to switch the negative. do what you have done for the cct diag not the layout drawing

Also ensure you are using the correct set of contacts on the relay else you would see volts when the relay switches

Dave

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
What Dave said.
I take it that the positive supply contacts deliver juice to the wailer cct, but not the negative rail contacts?
10V is in my experience enough to activate all 12V relays completely, just be aware that with insufficient voltage then all contact sets may not engage fully.
It should be possible to make Dave's cct latching too, using the spare contact set.

mikeymuss669

Jun 5, 2011
in your cct diag you are NOT switching the negative rail to the wailer cct ONLY the positive

BUT in your component layout drawing you are using the other set of relay contacts to switch the negative. do what you have done for the cct diag not the layout drawing

Also ensure you are using the correct set of contacts on the relay else you would see volts when the relay switches

Dave
Hello,
the relay I use is this one:
http://www.rapidonline.com/netalogue/specs/60-4754e.pdf
That's what I should be using according to the layout drawing.
The schematic is an earlier version of that part of the cct. But I think the problem with that is that once the alarm goes of it can be deactivated by putting the magnet back on the reed switch. Whereas the layout drawing should prevent that because it stays latched. The only way one could then switch off the alarm would be by turning of the power.
So I really want to get the layout drawing working.

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
The "Common" pins are not in the center of the contact array as you seem to have drawn on your layout, but rather on the pin pair closer to the coil pins.

mikeymuss669

Jun 5, 2011
Thanks to both of you for your help.
It's working now.
Davenn got me to go back to the schematic (for using the positive only to switch to the wailer).
And Resqueline made me understand that you REALLY have to look at the datasheet before wiring components.
I attach the final breadboard layout with some indications for newbies.
(the resistor at the far left is 1k)
cheers

Attachments

• alarm-reedSw-breadB-03-off-w.jpg
    alarm-reedSw-breadB-03-off-w.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 316

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
i can give you a good low voltage diagram i built one that worked very great before when i was 8 allthough you have one this is a good low voltage device

Last edited:

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
the remote buy a toy car with a remote take apart not remote wire battery leads to power on circuit wire one lead from motor to the mosfet one button on the remote will set off the alarm
the other will turn it off open and close a switch it will still be on if you labeled the remote
push the off button it will turn off the other is to test the buzzer
hope you enjoy it :D

please anyone check im only a kid

Attachments

• untitleduyyui.GIF
    untitleduyyui.GIF
    17.1 KB · Views: 274
Last edited: