Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Magnifying glass & third hard

joseche

Jan 4, 2011
Hi all,

Which magnifying glass / third hard is recommended by the community ?

Thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Third hand perhaps?

I don't think they are so technical that anyone has really bothered to compare and rate them.

Obviously a heavy-ish sort of base so that it doesn't fall over with the size boards you use, and enough movements to hold stuff up the "right" way to do whatever you're doing.

Mine allow you to remove the alligator clips (which I have long since done and lost them) and slide a PCB into where they were (there is a slot). That way I can clamp the board securely in place.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Depends what you want to do, and how much you'll pay.
I tried a couple of the small all-in-one jobs. They're small, the base is small, and tip-over.
But if you're doing small work, it might work.
I work so many different jobs, years ago I invested in a Panavise.
Their suction cup base is garbage. But the screw-down one is great.
They sell a multitude of different head replacements for it.
I started with a regular vise, then picked-up specialty replacement add-on types as
I needed them over the years. They make a type for almost any job (Google them).
I use a circular clamp-on magnifying lamp, to see the small stuff.
One input to consider anyway.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, I don't use a magnifying glass. I use a combination lamp and magnifier.

And yeah, as shrtrnd suggests, they're only really any good with small boards. Anything larger than your hand (and possibly smaller if it has heavy components on it) is going to tip over all the time.

But with larger boards you can generally lean them on something. It's the smaller ones that have to be tied down so they don't get away!

joseche

Jan 4, 2011
so... it is not so necessary after all ?,

I asked because I am just learning about circuits, and I am putting together the list of things to buy ! :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
No, certainly no necessary. Can be helpful, but if I were on a budget, it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list.

If you have normal eyesight, and are working on through-hole components, there is no need for a magnifier either.