Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mains quick testers.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Getting back on track of my post!, socket and see have a 110V socket tester. L1, L2 and ground. This is perfect for the site (construction) transformers but I’ve never used one to confirm .
This might be a big build for 110V and 240V plus frequency for generators. eBay has various modules/boards but I couldn’t trust them from China. Perhaps I’ll KISS and use the multimeters.

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
@kellys_eye i want to double like that comment! My mouth is hypersalivation right now thinking about an open fire, toasting crumpets (marsh mallows) just to confuse our brothers over the pond:)

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Getting back on track of my post!, socket and see have a 110V socket tester. L1, L2 and ground. This is perfect for the site (construction) transformers but I’ve never used one to confirm .
This might be a big build for 110V and 240V plus frequency for generators. eBay has various modules/boards but I couldn’t trust them from China. Perhaps I’ll KISS and use the multimeters.
Still cannot work out just what it is you are testing.
Perhaps advice like for new commers....diagram or drawing thanks.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I have not used that particular brand but I have used others I won't mention the brand name,it's rather embarrassing. But I did learn something from my own fault finding ( pun intended) that is... my ability to troubleshoot power quality problems on AC wiring and grounding systems is only as good as the tools you use.
Don't be misled. When checking building wiring, use a ground impedance tester to verify correct wiring and low equipment ground impedances. Use the socket and see circuit tester as a night-light! ;)

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Sorry for the confusion chaps!. I have the appropriate tools for test and inspection of domestic and industrial but I definitely won’t be taking them into a dirty petrol, grease, cement environment (my work).
The tools I service are concrete breakers, compactors, mini diggers, rotorvators, turf cutters etc along with generators and hand power tools. It’s a tool rental company.
The 110V transformers are safety transformers which are grounded without a neutral (return). They are 55V-0V-55V centre tapped transformers. Therefore I have to use a multimeter three (3) times to check the secondary output. I was simply asking if anybody knew of or used a plug in tester that checks the output voltages and gives a visual illuminated reading all at once!. For example, my Fluke and Martindale are for 240V domestic outlets (LNE). The ‘Socket And See’ 110V outlet tester is L1 L2 E. None of the above show voltage readings.
But I’ve thrown together three (3) voltage meters, a Watt and frequency meter in one box. I’ll test it on Monday.

Martin

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The 110V transformers are safety transformers which are grounded without a neutral (return). They are 55V-0V-55V centre tapped transformers. Therefore I have to use a multimeter three (3) times to check the secondary output. I was simply asking if anybody knew of or used a plug in tester that checks the output voltages and gives a visual illuminated reading all at once!. For example, my Fluke and Martindale are for 240V domestic outlets (LNE). The ‘Socket And See’ 110V outlet tester is L1 L2 E. None of the above show voltage readings.
Voltmeter is and would be one of the meter requirements to check voltage but also a megger to test for minimum isolation/ insulation resistance both to ground and between primary and secondary windings, and for good earth on input and casing. The tests for all the latter would be more important requirement for any electrician to place a valid test tag on any electrical equipment either for hire or for construction site use. (in Aus at least).
In that respect, isolation transformers require a more involved test and simply throwing a couple of voltmeters taped together at it, just would not be sufficient.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Voltmeter is and would be one of the meter requirements to check voltage but also a megger to test for minimum isolation/ insulation resistance both to ground and between primary and secondary windings, and for good earth on input and casing. The tests for all the latter would be more important requirement for any electrician to place a valid test tag on any electrical equipment either for hire or for construction site use. (in Aus at least).
In that respect, isolation transformers require a more involved test and simply throwing a couple of voltmeters taped together at it, just would not be sufficient.
All the electrical tools and transformers are PAT tested after servicing.

Martin