Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Make a latch (flip-flop) using two relays?

mank

Apr 14, 2011
Had an interview today. There was a test. They wanted me to draw a diagram and this was what I was supposed to do:

"Draw a latch (flip-flop) using two relays. Show inputs and outputs"

I have never seen relays used in this way. I have been a Navy Electronics Technician and in the field for over 30 years.

I just could not figure out how to do the 'toggle'.

Anyone got any ideas?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps we should wait a few days, just in case...

Here's some hints.

1) can I wire a relay so that once power is applied, it latches on?
2) how could I, with another relay closing, reset this?
3) can I interconnect 2 of these together?

I've never considered this either. I think the test was not so much about the flip-flop as how you think on your feet.

I've posed questions of this nature to potential job applicants before. I was more interested in how they approached an unfamiliar problem, than how they solved it.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
But you can do it with just relays and switches.

baileya

Jan 31, 2013
flip flop using two relays

To answer the question on the flip flop using two relays, it can be done utilizing two timers , one timer to switch between the relays and the other timer to reset the circuit
Start with one relay instantly energised , then timed off. Next switch on the other relay and provide a hold contact . The second timer is used to stop and reset the circuit allowing it to start the cycle all over again.
I can draw out a circuit wiring diagram but not sure how to post the circuit on this site
Cheers
Arthur

Osmium

Jan 28, 2013
A lot of years ago, I made a flip-flop using two relays and two switches. I think I also had a light globe to show the state! Just like Steve says, think about it...

--- Warning: Nostalgia piece...
The school radio club used to get a lot of surplus telephone switching gear and other bits and pieces. Full of relays and all sorts. Kept us happy for ages! [btw our surplus gear was well and truly valve era. My first transistors to play with were OC45s and OC71s - and expensive!!]

-Roy

Lee Ssang

Apr 18, 2016
Had an interview today. There was a test. They wanted me to draw a diagram and this was what I was supposed to do:

"Draw a latch (flip-flop) using two relays. Show inputs and outputs"

I have never seen relays used in this way. I have been a Navy Electronics Technician and in the field for over 30 years.

I just could not figure out how to do the 'toggle'.

Anyone got any ideas?

I think this link may answer your question:

http://yamanashimasamune.blogspot.my/2016/04/flip-flop-or-bistable-latching-using.html

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Look at this brilliant example:

Toggle.gif
You short across the supply to turn the circuit off !!!!!