Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Make electronics experiment 11

rschermacher

Dec 14, 2022
On page 96 of the revised edition of Make Electronics, experiment 11, figure 2-118. I cannot seem to get the speaker to work. Will it work if the capacitor is greater than .01uf? This is the first time we are asked to configure the schematic without a breadboard illustration and I am not sure I have it set up correctly. Can anybody provide an illustration of how the breadboard is wired?

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The way it works here is , you supply the details, schematics, photos of what you have done so far etc. etc.......... others comment.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
The way I am seeing that situation, is the coupling from the 22222 audio amplifier transistor is using a 100 MICROFARAD electroloytic capacitor.
Now, the HIGH capacitive impedance that would be afforded by a mere 0 .01 ufd ( MICROFARAD ) wouldn't even let a chirp be produced by a tweeter type of speaker.
Confucius say . . . . . use MOOOOOOOOOOORE capacitance ! 更多电容 !

Last edited:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
On page 96 of the revised edition of Make Electronics, experiment 11, figure 2-118. I cannot seem to get the speaker to work.
According to this article, that circuit is driving an LED, not a speaker.
Further amplification, using a power transistor, would be needed to get any significant volume from a speaker.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
I have made a small amp of . . . . . a pocket transistor radio level of sound . . .or better . . . . using a complementary/symmetry 2222 and 2907 pair.
This one amp stage will be hit hard with a square wave, so it should at least be audible . . . . as a raucous sound.
Dissatisfied ? . . . .then . . . you might want to then shunt that 100K base resistor with a 10 K value and then check the sound level, otherwise that's about it . . .'taint no BOSE SOUND WAVE !
OTHER REFERENCE MENTIONED . . .

1671194019251.png

Last edited:

Keonte45

Aug 29, 2022
It is generally recommended to use the exact value of components specified in the circuit diagrams, unless you have a specific reason for deviating from the recommended values. In the case of the circuit on page 96 of the revised edition of Make Electronics, using a capacitor with a value greater than 0.01 uF may affect the performance of the circuit.
To help you set up the circuit correctly on a breadboard, here is an illustration of how the breadboard should be wired:
  1. 1. Connect one leg of the pushbutton switch to the positive power rail of the breadboard (usually the rail on the right side of the breadboard)
  2. 2. Connect the other leg of the pushbutton switch to digital pin 2 of the microcontroller
  3. 3. Connect one leg of the 0.01 uF capacitor to the negative power rail of the breadboard (usually the rail on the left side of the breadboard)
  4. 4. Connect the other leg of the 0.01 uF capacitor to digital pin 3 of the microcontroller
  5. 5. Connect one leg of the 8 ohm speaker to digital pin 4 of the microcontroller
  6. 6. Connect the other leg of the 8 ohm speaker to the negative power rail of the breadboard
Note: Make sure that you have correctly connected the power and ground rails of the breadboard to the appropriate power and ground pins of the microcontroller.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything else I can help with.