Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a classic gameboy rechargeable need help with the lithium ion battery

dopesoner930

Jun 28, 2014
Hello all, this is my first post in these forums and I am sure will be followed by many more as I am a small electronics hobbyist that mostly tinkers around with video game hardware. As the title states I basically want to make an old game boy color I have rechargeable. I desoldered the the connections for the AA batteries on the gbc and soldered in a lithium ion battery from a salvaged nintendo ds and the console powered on and worked fine. Now the part I cant figure out. I want to solder in a port to the battery so it can be charged via a wall outlet and I am having no luck. I tried soldering in the port that game with the ds and still nothing. Ideally I would like it to work as a passthrough meaning when its plugged in the gameboy is usable and still charging. I am not sure if I need "a charging board" I have read a bit about charging boards or if the usb port/battery is all I will be needing. Thank you for your help!

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
HI there

welcome to Electronics Point

I cant help you with your specific query, hopefully someone else can :)

just didn't want your post to go unanswered :)

cheers
Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Lithium cells need to be charged carefully.

My recommendation is that you get a single cell USB charger board from eBay and use that.

It may be a little tricky fitting it into the gameboy, but worth the effort since poorly charged lipo cells can start fires.