Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making a PCB that can have connections changed

BodhiSci

Jul 4, 2014
Hi,

Anyone know of a good way to make connections modifiable on a PCB? What I have been thinking is making a small break in traces. So a trace will end in a through hole, then begin again a few millimeters away with the trace starting up again with another through hole and going to its final destination. A solder bridge or a jumper could bridge the gap and if it needs to be changed a wire could go from one of the first through holes to a different second one.

I ask because I'm making a PCB that has lots of single connections from about 20 pins to 20 other pins. I'd like to be able to change which ones are paired. Normally they will be not need to be changed so pin#1 in the first set will usually be connected to pin #1 in the second, but situations may arise where things would need to be changed. It is even possible that they would need to be changed a number of times but that is probably not that likely.

Any experience with this kind of thing or any ideas? Thank you so much!

Last edited:

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
You put a set of 20 rectangular pads on the board connected to 20 pads with a 10 thou track. These pads will be tinned and the track can be cut and enameled wire can be used to join any pad to any pad.
Never use vias as you may lose your "track."

BodhiSci

Jul 4, 2014
So just two rows of square pads with very small traces connecting them. This is my second board BTW. How do these pads get tinned? Is there a way to designate that and then the printer does that or do I tin them. Dumb question maybe but I don't know a lot. I would like this to require the least amount possible as other people may be doing this later. Thanks.

BodhiSci

Jul 4, 2014
I know how to tin of course! Lol. I just ask because a bunch will be made and anything that would make it faster or cleaner would be great.

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
I like the idea of the 20 pads on each side, but I'd consider using 0 ohm resistors rather than traces. They're quicker and easier to remove and replace than traces.

As for how to have the pads tinned, it depends on how you're getting the board made.