Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making battery pack out of battery holder

boscawen46

Apr 12, 2011
The 9.6 v battery pack from my sons large toy jeep rock crawler is missing and I want to make something to replace it. The original was a sealed "cassette" with I assume 8 aa sized cells in it.
I plan to buy a holder as in picture that would hold 8 aa 2700 mah batteries in series ( 9.6 v) and fit this into the existing compartment in the jeep.
I can of course take out the aa's when they are dead and charge them in two high quality chargers that I already have four in each one but is there any reason that I cannot charge the whole lot together in situe in the holder using a 9.6 v smart charger.
Any advice welcome. Thanks

PS The battery holder is designed to be connected to whatever needs the power from all of the batteries together.BATTERY HOLDER.jpg

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
If the original cells are the same chemistry as the ones you plan to replace them with, and are of similar capacity, and it doesn't monitor the temperature of the pack, and the charger is not a "fast charger" then you will probably be safe.

You should ensure that all cells are equally charged before you assemble the pack for the first time (i.e. don't mix batteries of different states of charge, ages, capacity, brand, etc.)