Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Making the connection

droidus

Oct 29, 2020
I am trying to connect two wires. Here is what I have:
https://ufile.io/pprmvh7h
I attached the metal device to the yellow wire (I assume it goes on there at this stage). From here, I am not sure what to do.

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Not many will like to download the file from an unknown site.
I have downloaded the image, resized it and will upload it here for the others to see:

Iconnecting wiresjpg.jpg

Bertus

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You’ll have to terminate the yellow wire.
Push the silicone sleeve on the yellow wire first then you have to crimp the bullet shaped piece to hold the yellow wire tightly. Make sure it is metal to metal contact.
You can use pliers to squeeze/squash the bullet connector but a crimper is the correct tool to use.
Or solder it of course.

Martin

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Good catch. It should be crimped and soldered there.

Do yourself a favor and cut off those garbage connectors and just use a crimp butt splice.
20201029_161802.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Yes, I thought the yellow wire was fairly obviously too long and needed cutting. I should have mentioned it.

Cutting off the existing and replacing with in-line butt connectors still requires a crimper but wont allow for quick disconnect/connect.
But up to the OP I guess.

Martin

droidus

Oct 29, 2020
You’ll have to terminate the yellow wire.
Push the silicone sleeve on the yellow wire first then you have to crimp the bullet shaped piece to hold the yellow wire tightly. Make sure it is metal to metal contact.
You can use pliers to squeeze/squash the bullet connector but a crimper is the correct tool to use.
Or solder it of course.

Martin
Does the silicone sleeve protect from interference?

droidus

Oct 29, 2020
IMG_20201029_174725.jpgAlso, how did I do? I know it is hard to make out... It is my first time doing this...
It is hard to tell, but I assume the red fuse tap end wire is touching the metal "butt" connector?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Erm.. it stops it interfering with other bare wires or conductive objects by insulating it against short circuit.

That looks ok for your first attempt. Try pinching down on the metal tabs to hold the yellow insulation too. Don’t forget to slide the silicone sleeves over to insulate the joint.

Martin

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

Soldering the wires together will make a permanent connection. You could use heat shrink tubing for isolation.
You even can get heat shrink tubing with glue inside to make it water tight.
When you want to have a removable connection, the connectors the TS used can be used.
In that case the plug (yellow wire) can be removed from the socket (red wire).

Bertus

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
then you have to crimp the bullet shaped piece to hold the yellow wire tightly

No, no no haha
that will destroy the connector

the crimping is done only at the end near where the yellow insulation end is, like what has been done with the other connector

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Does the silicone sleeve protect from interference?

no, it stops the bare connect from short circuiting out on other bare wires or metal casing etc
Purely for electrical insulation

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
Do yourself a favor and cut off those garbage connectors and just use a crimp butt splice.
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with you there.
Those bullet connectors when crimped correctly, like the red wire is, are very good. I would also not recommend soldering. They are not fully waterproof, but do give quite good protection. Very common connector in Asian automotive equipment. Also used in many other applications, eg household appliances.

The "crimp butt splice" connectors you show are what I would be more likely to call garbage.

ratstar

Aug 20, 2018
if its not permanent, and your testing stuff out, I just twist em together. and i strip em with my beaver toof.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
The "crimp butt splice" connectors you show are what I would be more likely to call garbage.

The problem with those cheap Chinese bullet connectors are that they are mechanically weak and when flexed they loosen at the barrel.
A properly sized and spliced butt connector can handle more current while being strong enough to withstand flexing.

There are better grade barrel connectors like the one Bluejet posted, but in my experience, those Chinese tin connectors are notoriously a loose connection.