Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Manually changing laptop adapter connector

antobag

Jan 6, 2015
Hi all,

I've completed a solar panel set-up where I charge everything using DC power from a 12V battery. The appliances are connected to the battery with a cigarette lighter port. I've been buying specific "in-car" adapters for each appliance according to their voltages, etc, and everything had been going smoothly...

...until today! I bought a laptop charger adapter that I assumed would fit my laptop (the voltage and amperage were both correct at 19V, 4.74A) BUT the connector pin does not fit. I can push it into my laptop port and hold it there, the laptop will say that it's charging, but the connector falls out as soon as I let go. Obviously I picked up the wrong charger for my laptop. I was wondering:

Is it possible (and safe for my laptop) to merely cut off the connector of the incorrect charger, buy a connector that fits my laptop and connect the wires together? I need the adapter by Sunday and I doubt I'll have time to order a new one in.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Steve from MRO Calgary

Jan 30, 2015
Most Switchmode power supplies need to see feedback from the plug to function correctly. Sometimes it is as simple as a third wire. Cutting the plug off removes the feedback circuit and the power supply doesn't work. A better option is to get an connector adapter from Targus, Velleman or Philmore.

antobag

Jan 6, 2015
Thanks Steve. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any of those brands in stock near me (I'm in the UK). I know there is a Maplin near me, would one of these suffice? http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-auto-...ter-with-1a-usb-socket-12-charging-tips-a83la

It's expensive for what it is, and it's not specifically designed to go with my laptop (I've heard a few bad things about universal chargers). But if it's safe to use for a 19V, 4.74A (90W) laptop then it'll have to do under my time constraints. I won't be using it permanently, just for a month or so.

ericwilk

Jan 31, 2015
Radio shack used to sell them in just about any shape / size, along with adapters.

Make sure to check polarity.

V/A doesn't matter if it's just the tip (and not supply) you are replacing.

They are 2 pieces of metal (might have a rating though, best to not exceed it if so).