Maker Pro
Maker Pro

MAX7219 and 7-segment problems

makiyoung

Jun 13, 2017
I've been experimenting with 7-segment LED's using the LedControl library and an ATtiny85, and I can get it to display a number, but it flashes on and then goes off and won't display another number.

I've had the same results with both versions of the LedControl library and the Max7219 library. I've tried adding capacitors on the power rails as some sites say, I've tried 10k and 22k ISET resistors, I've tried different ATtiny85's, I've tried 3.3v and 5v from regulated supplies, I've tried 2 different single-digit displays and a 4-digit display (all common-cathode) but nothing makes any difference, all I ever get is a flash of a digit for under a second.

I know the displays work ok as i've driven them directly using my raspberry pi, so i assume the problem is the max7219. I've tried 5 different MAX7219's but they're all from the same supplier, I'm starting to think they're fakes (given that most US/UK places sell them for £10 each and I got 5 for $2 from china).

This is max7219 7 segment

Has anyone had the same issue or any idea of something else I can try?

Robert_fay

Jun 15, 2017
I bought a bunch of these for a class from a website in china and we had similar issues only 2 out of 10 worked. Ended up costing more than I saved.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I read the magic words "got them cheap from China".

Whilst not everything you get cheap from China is fake, if the deal is too good to be true...