Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Maximising 12v battery performance

turbochrissy

Aug 22, 2012
Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum but looking forward to getting your advise on a number of matters. Firstly, I am looking to explore how I can obtain the maximum potential from the 12v 6.5ah batteries that we use in kart racing

The engines are 125cc water cooled, with loom, battery and coil. The spark is produced from the power supply, with no form of alternator. In previous tests we have found that a fully charged battery will produced a better spark over a tired one, but as we are limited to the one type of battery (to confirm with regulations) I am wondering how we can maximise this power.

Do I need to concentrate the on AH over voltage? What about the CCA? Is there a professional standard battery charger/conditioner that will help to increase the neccasary output?

Any advice is much appreciated

Chris

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would suggest that a nice new, fully charged battery will give you the best performance.

What are the limits on the battery?

turbochrissy

Aug 22, 2012
The battery is fairly new. As a test I tried a 9ah battery of similar size and it appeared to give a slight improvement, although it would not be allowed to run this at race meetings. Sorry I do not understand what you mean by limits on the battery, I am a complete novice at this

Have looked into fancy chargers as opposed to the typical C-TEK stuff we use at the moment. Found this one which may be better http://www.tecmate-int.com/optimatepro-s_detail.php

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
An old style ignition system takes a large pulse out of the battery and gives a lower output with lower input voltage.
What system do you have?
Could you get an ignition system which is tolerant to different input voltages?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
By limits on the battery, I mean, what are you allowed to use. Is a particular rating specified, or a manufacturer as well, or what?

Keep your battery in good condition, make sure connections are clean, use a short heavy cable for high currents. They would be basic recommendations.

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
Do I need to concentrate the on AH over voltage? What about the CCA? Is there a professional standard battery charger/conditioner that will help to increase the neccasary output?

To answer your questions...

You would want to focus on Ah, the higher the Ah the longer it will last under a common load

CCA you dont have to worry about too much, just need to know how much amperage you need to get the engine started (though I'm assuming its a ripcord start)

Assuming that it is a lead acid battery... there really isnt a way to condition it, Lithium ion/polymer then yes you would want to charge it in a specific way, but lead acid nope, just charge the sucker

as steve asked, what are the restrictions on the battery size/weight/power etc

dick56

Apr 15, 2011
If you use a constant-current charger, the specific gravity will go to about 1.290 and the voltage to about 14.5 to 15.0 volts at the end of the constant current charge. Use about 1.5 amp constant-current for 10 hours. Mastech has different size of constant-current chargers, but a HY3005 (30 volts and 5 amps) should be plenty for that battery