Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Measure water level using IR or Ultrasonic sensor

sahan hasitha

Jan 7, 2016
Hello guys. I want to measure water level for my project. I have used ultrasonic distance sensor to measure water level. its working fine but the sensors are not water proof. It may damage because of water. Now um going to measure the level using Sharp GP2Y0A02YK0F IR sensor. But i dont know its possible or not. Tell your ideas about measuring water level with that sensor. Tell me if you have any other idea to measure the level electronically.
Thank you

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You'lll have to give it a try.

The datasheet states some caveats:
  1. The lens of this device needs to be kept clean. There are cases that dust, water or oil and so on deteriorate the characteristics of this device. Please consider in actual application.
  2. Distance to a mirror reflector can not be sometimes measured exactly - my comment: the surface of watermay act in a mirror-like fashion.

sahan hasitha

Jan 7, 2016
You'lll have to give it a try.

The datasheet states some caveats:
  1. The lens of this device needs to be kept clean. There are cases that dust, water or oil and so on deteriorate the characteristics of this device. Please consider in actual application.
  2. Distance to a mirror reflector can not be sometimes measured exactly - my comment: the surface of watermay act in a mirror-like fashion.
So if the water touches on sensors, it may give a wrong output of water level. So i have to do this with another method