Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Measurement of current sensing transformer (CT)secondary winding

albertywk

Dec 31, 2014
Dear all

I measure a current sensing transformer (CT) secondary coil winding getting about 700 ohm by ohmmeter and about 7H in inductance by LCR meter,do you think it is normal?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Judging these parameters depends on the application, mainly the primary current range and also the size of the transformer's core. The impedance seems to be quite on the high side (I'd expect less than 100Ω). This can lead to a large phase shift due to the resulting time constant (L/R). Unless you have a known good reference or a datasheet it is not possible to answer your question with "good" or "bad".

albertywk

Dec 31, 2014
This current sense transformer is as attached pic

Attachments

• ct.jpg
    ct.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 127

albertywk

Dec 31, 2014
For the current sensing transformer (CT)..
I already compared the measurement of the secondary winding with good one ,the result is 750 ohm for both CT by ohmmeter but about 8H for suspected fault CT & 11H for good CT in inductance by LCR meter,
do you think the suspected fault CT is faulty?
Why even their ohm value is same but different in inductance value?
Pls kindly advice.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Shorted turns will have little effect on the resistance if the turns are close together. Even shorts between one widing layer and the next may be hard to detect.

The shorted turns will have a large effect on the inductance due to the eddy currents which are generated. I would guess that you have a faulty transformer, possibly caused by over voltage. Did you have a load on the secondary?