Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Measuring current consumption on a PCB circuit

Faiz

Jan 21, 2016
Hi all,

I have a problem with my measurement method. I was required to measured current consumption on a PCB circuit board, but I was confused of putting probe terminals. From the attached image, can someone assist me, where can I put my multimeter probes to measure a current consumption for the circuit? Your assistant will be very helpful, thanks.

Attachments

• current_measurement.jpg
    current_measurement.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 178

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You either need a current probe which will measure the magnetic field and determine current from that, or you will need to break the power connection and place your multimeter in series with it.

If the circuit has a resistor in series with the power supply you could measure the voltage across it.

If you know the thickness of the copper and the width of the tracks you could also measure the voltage drop across a length of the power supply trace.

brokenbot

Jan 20, 2016
Probably the best way to measure current of a circuit is to attach an ammeter (or DMM) in series between the supply and the load.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Firstly you have to tell us if the current you want to measure is less than 1 amp or more than 1 amp.