Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Measuring magnetic waves from coil

joshvik

Feb 21, 2023
Hi all,

Looking to measure some magnetic waves being generated at an electric coil. Freq is between 0-20kHz and magnitude is pretty small <1T. Any have suggestions for the best tool to measure and log data of this magnetic waveform?

Googling around, I found meters like this: https://www.alphalabinc.com/product/mr3/
I thought maybe even a simple hall sensor but not sure.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
It's not that simple. you may not know exactly what strength means in terms of magnetic properties.
Units used in magnet strength measurements.
Tesla : density of an magnetic field, flux density. T = kg / (A * s2)
A = amperes and s = seconds.
My favorite:
T = V * s / m2 or T = (N * s)/(C * m) or T = Wb / m2.
where V = volts, s = seconds, m = meters, N = newtons, C = coulombs and Wb = webers.
You want to measure a magnetic field in a coil. How about after you turn the power off and there's no magnetic field.
Gauss: is used to measure the remnants of the magnetic field (magnetic flux density).
One gauss is equal to 10-4 teslas. It can also be defined as 1 maxwell per square centimeter or 10-4 webers per square meter.
Then there is Oersted & Kilogram.
The latter being the force required to pull a magnet away from the flat metal surface that it is making full surface-to-surface contact.
Oersteds, is the force required to reduce a magnet's magnetic characteristics to zero.
A magnetometer, or gaussmeter, is used for measuring a magnetic field.
Wasn't that simple?
Hall effect Magnetometers that use the Hall effect use current to ascertain whether a magnetic field is nearby and how strong it is.
Magnetoinduction effects: Magnetometers that rely on magnet induction calculate how magnetized a certain material becomes when exposed to a magnetic field.
Magnetoresistance effects: Magnetometers that use magnetoresistance calculate an object's ability to change its electrical resistance when it becomes exposed to a magnetic field.

Last edited:

joshvik

Feb 21, 2023
I guess to come back to the original question: how do you suggest I measure these induced magnetic fields?

Should I buy a gauss meter or use a Hall effect sensor? Are there other options?

This is all new to me, so appreciate any help.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
If you want to measure the intensity and direction of the magnetic field use a magnetometer.
Sorry I should just said that in the first place,
By the way a magnetometer is also referred to as an EMF field strength meter, so when you get bored playing around with magnetic fields you can go catch ghosts

Last edited: