Maker Pro
Maker Pro

mfd Cap compared to a uf Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyGotaTruck

Oct 28, 2010
I was suppose to purchase a 1200uf 35 V Cap for my TV. I instead received a 1200mfd.

Whats the difference and should I get the uf instead before I blow my TV up?

Thanks,

This is my first post ever...

Tony <<< GotaTruck

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I was suppose to purchase a 1200uf 35 V Cap for my TV. I instead received a 1200mfd.
Whats the difference and should I get the uf instead before I blow my TV up?
Thanks,
This is my first post ever...
Tony <<< GotaTruck

hi Tony,
welcome to the forum :)

well... its all a little confusing ;) technically mF(d) stands for milliFarad
and uF is microFarad(an order of magnitude smaller).

The confusion comes where some older capacitor manufacturers used mF instead of uF on their devices. and in that reasoning they mean the same

In today's reality I would doubt that you could actually buy a 1200mF capacitor
rather it would be 1200uF written on it

A value that large, would assume it came out of one of the power supply sections of your TV ?
I suspect you wont have any probs installing the 1200uF cap :)

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Wow! I thought mfd as a marking disappeared shortly after American explorers discovered France!

If the 1200mfd unit was found in the set, then I would also imagine that you may have to replace all your tubes with valves (or vice versa). :D

You will note that mfd is a combination of a multiplier (m) and a unit (fd). The SI unit for capacitance is the Farad, correctly abbreviated F. If you see it abbreviated as fd, then you can't assume that the multiplier "m" is a SI abbreviation.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I can't recall ever seeing a capacitor actually marked on the device in milli farads.
ufd and mfd both mean micro farad.
TonyGotaTruck's 1200mfd, IS a 1200ufd capacitor.
daveen and *steve* are both exactly right about the technical explaination, but in practical
markings on devices, mfd means micro farad. Even though technically, manufacturers shouldn't be doing that. (They just always have).

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I can't remember the last time I saw a capacitor marked in mfd.

I do recall them when they were called condensers, or from equipment of some vintage, but I'm staggered anyone manufactures something labelled that way.

Perhaps I've just not noticed? Or perhaps they are capacitors not used in "electronics" (e.g. motor start capacitors or for power factor correction)

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Naw, I repair test and measurement instruments all day long.
Half the caps I buy are marked mfd, for microfarad.
I've often wondered if maybe the machines that manufacturers use to print, only have the capability of printing block letters, and maybe they don't want to bother getting the 'mu' symbol for ufd. Sounds dumb, but I can't think of another good reason for it.
The biggest annoyance to me with the new caps coming out, is most places no longer
print the date code on them. Maybe nothing is made to last anymore, but in the old T&M instruments, it pays to know if your cap is 25 years old or not.

Blakers903

May 3, 2017
Actually 1,000,000 micro farad's is equal to 1 farad. So milli and micro are exactly the same thing. There never was a difference and never will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.