Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mi Curved Gaming Monitor 34" - Horizontal lines

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I have a Mi Curved Gaming Monitor 34". A few weeks ago it started to show (or not showing) horizontal lines. Of course, it's outside of the warranty period.

After some hours of reading and watching videos I disassembled the monitor and checked the ribbons that go from the TCON board to the panel PCB. If I disconnect the ribbon for the right side of the panel, the other half shows a perfect image. I ordered a "new" TCON, installed it and the issue persists so that tells me it must be a panel issue.

I've seen various videos talking about "the tape method", covering the clock signals (I believe). I don't understand much of electronics but I can't believe that's a solution (it has to have some kind of performance loss, maybe in the refresh speed?). If those connections weren't needed, they wouldn't be there. I don't think manufacturers do anything they don't need to.

Anyway, I can't find the right pads in the ribbon cable to block.

Now the question. Is it an issue with the panel itself or with the PCB of the panel? I suppose that if it is a panel issue I better throw it in the trash, but if it is a PCB issue it can be repaired. If the latter is true, can you help me find the issue?

Monitor model: XMMNTWQ34.
Panel model is: Samsung LSM340YP05.
TCON: CCPD-TC-340-001.
Panel PCB: CCPD-XR-340-001.

Thanks again!

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Now the question. Is it an issue with the panel itself or with the PCB of the panel? I suppose that if it is a panel issue I better throw it in the trash, but if it is a PCB issue it can be repaired. If the latter is true, can you help me find the issue?
You should have started with that first.
If the latter is true, we can help you find the issue.
Do you know how to solder?
Do you have a multimeter?
Do you know how to use it?
Do you know how to read schematics?
I'm only asking because I don't know, no offense.
If I disconnect the ribbon for the right side of the panel, the other half shows a perfect image
Well then you're halfway home.
I ordered a "new" TCON, installed it and the issue persists so that tells me it must be a panel issue
?? Is the TCON under warranty
So you can get you money back.

If those connections weren't needed, they wouldn't be there. I don't think manufacturers do anything they don't need to
Correct! Sometimes there are multiple versions of a single main assembly PCB product so they eliminate subassemblies, provide one PCB board for versions 1 2 3 4 5 each version
for example; version 1, entry level model.You get the basics as far as features if someone would open up an entry level version 1, they would notice maybe a solder mask indicating where a particular component would be placed onto the board and which orientation the component should be placed with respect to component power supply rails, input, output, layout or architecture
After some hours of reading and watching videos
Do you have 5 minutes?
Have you tried googling a service manual for
Xiaomi XMMNTWQ34 34 Inch WQHD FreeSync 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor. and or schematics?

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
Thanks for your answer.

Do you know how to solder?
Do you have a multimeter?
Do you know how to use it?
Do you know how to read schematics?
I'm only asking because I don't know, no offense.

I know how to solder with soldering iron and hot air.
I have a multimeter and I have some basic knowledge to use it.
No experience reading complicated schematics, but that can be solved.
No offense taken. I apologize for not giving the needed data.

?? Is the TCON under warranty
So you can get you money back.

The TCON I ordered has been already returned to the seller.

Do you have 5 minutes?
Have you tried googling a service manual for
Xiaomi XMMNTWQ34 34 Inch WQHD FreeSync 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor. and or schematics?

I can't find anything other than the user manual. No repair or service manual or schematics I can find.

A few moments ago I found the clock signal traces (or at least I think they are) and blocked them with a thin piece of paper. The monitor now is showing perfect image in the whole panel.

Out of curiosity, what is the panel losing when those traces are blocked? Image quality seems good, it runs at 144Hz. Does this put more stress on the other side of the TCON?

Thanks.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I’d like to hear more about this fault.
First the ribbon connector seemed to fix things, and now a piece of paper?
I believe there is probably a bad connection somewhere.

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
I’d like to hear more about this fault.
First the ribbon connector seemed to fix things, and now a piece of paper?
I believe there is probably a bad connection somewhere.
No sir, removing the ribbon didn't solve the issue, since half of the panel doesn't work without it. What it did was solve the issue on the left side of the panel (no horizontal lines on the left side of the panel, but the right side is completely black).

What I did now, was follow the "tape method" so many posts and videos show. I believe it's done to block the "clock" signals the panel receives from the TCON to that side of the panel (I believe clock signals are sent to both sides, so now the panel only receives clock signal from one side). I followed the traces from the place where "CK1, CK2... Etc" are printed on the PCB to the ribbon connector and with a piece of paper blocked the pins in the connector. This seems to have solved the issue.

The problem I have is that I can't believe this is a full blown solution. Circumvent the problem, more like it. I want to replace the component that's broken, so I can have piece of mind if I want to sell it later.

How can I locate it?

Thanks.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Is it an issue with the panel itself or with the PCB of the panel?
This might help...
Have you recently changed your graphic card?
Update your drivers?
Don't throw your (VA) Vertical Alignment panel display monitor in the trash just yet.
Perhaps you can test it online.
Not showing horizontal lines also known as
"Inversion artifacts"
I found this information rather interesting here's a snippet .
common on many models of 120Hz and 144Hz LCD's, and the appearance of inversion can be amplified during strobe mode (3D mode, LightBoost mode, etc). LCD inversion is the alternating positive/negative voltages used within an LCD panel.

Kikerumbo

Jun 6, 2022
This might help...
Have you recently changed your graphic card?
Update your drivers?
Don't throw your (VA) Vertical Alignment panel display monitor in the trash just yet.
Perhaps you can test it online.
Not showing horizontal lines also known as
"Inversion artifacts"
I found this information rather interesting here's a snippet .
common on many models of 120Hz and 144Hz LCD's, and the appearance of inversion can be amplified during strobe mode (3D mode, LightBoost mode, etc). LCD inversion is the alternating positive/negative voltages used within an LCD panel.
Thanks for the answer.

No changes in hardware or software on the PC side.

Just tried the UFO page after blocking the traces and it's fully working.

I've tried it with other computer with the same results. The issue is isolated at this moment. The problem is in the right panel PCB.