Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Micro USB Bulk Power Supply

thebradlywalker

Dec 22, 2023
Howdy,

I'm about to purchase a large (1200 units) order for some GPS trackers that recharge via micro USB. I need a good way to recharge these units in bulk. The status quo solution is to purchase a large USB bank and charge the units. However, the wires create quite the rat's nest. I would rather design a rack that only has the male, micro USB protruding through the rack. Whoever is recharging the ~100 units at a time would just "stab" the small GPS device down on the micro USB stub protruding through the rack.

I'm a mechanical engineer so I'm not completely ignorant, but also know very little about small electronics like this. I'm looking for some hardware guidance on how to step down the voltage/amperage from the wall receptacle to my rack to be able to do this.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
You can buy transformers (SMPS) that output 5V and high current. The current requirements depend entirely on each unit’s current consumption while charging x (times) the amount of units to charge simultaneously. Then add some overhead to keep it from working overtime. You will parallel wire each USB connection, so a rats nest can be hidden in your DIY project.

Martin

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Getting a USB port to align with a plug will take some careful manufacturing. The plug is designed for 'straight' entry and any deviation will cause damage. I have enough trouble manually pushing a USB charging lead into my phone every day.

The supply voltage/current is covered by @Martaine2005 but I don't recall ever seeing a 'drop-in' USB type charging holder - perhaps for the reasons I mentioned?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
3D printing Is definitely the way to go for this project.
A mold of the base of the GPS or side entry? Will be necessary for a drop in style ‘lined up’ charging base.
The precision items I’ve seen 3D printed make this the obvious choice.

Martin