Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Micro USB port pin configuration

john2k

Jun 13, 2012
I have a damaged Micro USB port on my Android Tablet which I would like to remove and then I would like to cut the micro USB connector of from a OTG cable and directly solder it to the board. However, I need some help because i've cut a few spare USB cables and they all have 4 wires inside. Mainly black, red, green and white. But the USB port has 5 pins and it also seems to have 4 points that hold it to the board but seem to also be grounded.

Does anyone know the pin configuration? Also, what is the best way to de-solder it resolder when the pins are so tight and close to each other?

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Hot air rework station is "one way" for doing this my friend. I have done that many times and it is not exactly the easyest thing to do. If you try with solder iron only most probably you will end up with damaged power and data traces on the PCB.

Pin configuration is almost same as mini usb and yes the frame should be attached to ground.

Here is a diagram for a male micro usb.

Attachments

• pinout-microUSB1.png
    pinout-microUSB1.png
    5.6 KB · Views: 1,733
D

Deleted member 42405

Jan 1, 1970
OTG cables have male connectors tho. You need a female to connect chargers to.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
Here you go !

Attachments

• micro_usb_jack_and_slot.jpg
    micro_usb_jack_and_slot.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 832

garublador

Oct 14, 2014
That extra pin is the ID pin. It allows the cable to tell your tablet whether or not it's a OTG cable or a regular cable (i.e. it tells the tablet if it will be a host or device). In OTG cables that pin is strapped to GND and in regular cables it's left floating (not connected).

So if you strap that ID pin to GND in the cable you solder to your board you won't be able to charge your tablet because it will always be a host. If you leave it floating you'll never be able to use your tablet as a host (e.g. plug in a thumb drive or mouse).

If you want to have the option of doing both you'll have to connect up that same gender micro USB connector you remove either as a new connector on the board or as some sort of pig tail, assuming you can find the right cable.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine that the connector on the board was bad?