Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microcontroller block diagram

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
Not homework as such, just exam preparation.

I have a practice question asking for a block diagram of an embedded microprocessor system which is used to monitor and control the safety of a plant. The plant setup is composed of various sensors monitoring pressure, temperature and level, and has various actuators for starting pumps, opening and closing valves.

I expect what they are looking for is a modified version of the harvard architecture of a PIC. I would probably have it interrupt driven with a hierarchy of the primary sensors. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 91

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
The inner architecture of the μP isn't at all important.
A sensor polling scheme is well tailored for this application.
You should have outputs to all control points.
Take into account that the sensors are basically analog.
and that a poling scheme may use a pol-timer.
Hope you can complete from this point?

Baxter Burgundy

Nov 18, 2014
So something like the picture I've just attached? And to say that a polling system will be used ranking the sensors in order of CT, PCP, PCT, SCP, SCT, RM, Level, and the use a of PIC 16F877 that has 366 bytes of RAM to store the latest reading from the sensors and results of comparisons, 8K of EEPROM to store critical conditions and a Flash for the code?

Attachments

• Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    13 KB · Views: 87

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Something like that.
Notes:
1. Each "sensor input " may have it's own resolution (translated to number of bits) and speed of change.
2. The output of a ADC may be parallel or serial.
3. It may be possible to use just a single ADC and multiplex the sensor inputs to it
4. Input from the sensors may need to be condition/amplified etc.
5. Not every actuator need an output DAC some most probably need to be just on-off.
6. Most actuator will require drivers,the DAC or output of the μP will not be able to drive them directly.
7. You probably need to show just the CPU itself in a block and the memory types,timers,etc. in separate blocks

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
Yes, and show the input mux select bits and output drivers connected to the i/o block.
Add a timer/counter .
Omit the the pic number-it is a general solution not tight to a specific one μC/μP