Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microcontroller for remote control car with camera

FlexedCookie

Oct 2, 2014
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of gathering all the information so I can start on my new project of building my own remote control car. However Im currently stuck on picking out a suitable microcontroller that isn't going to break the bank.

I need a cheapish chip that will allow me to control a couple motors, as well as being able to handle video as there will be a camera on the remote control car. It'll also be connecting wirelessly back to my controls.

Can anybody recommend anything?

Cheers :)

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of gathering all the information so I can start on my new project of building my own remote control car. However Im currently stuck on picking out a suitable microcontroller that isn't going to break the bank.

I need a cheapish chip that will allow me to control a couple motors, as well as being able to handle video as there will be a camera on the remote control car. It'll also be connecting wirelessly back to my controls.

Can anybody recommend anything?

Cheers :)
What kind of budget do you have?
You can buy all the components from local R/C hobby stores.
Find a cheap radio transmitter and matching receiver. You can get 3 or 4-channel pretty cheap.
As far as video is concerned, these would be separate components. You can get a small camera with a matching transmitter and receiver.
The receiver for the car cannot directly control the motors, so you would need an 'ESC' or other motor driver.

pgib8

Jul 26, 2015
I'm also in favor of buying separate components. If you are truly hellbent on building everything yourself, a cheapish microcontroller isn't going to cut it. A decent (modern) camera runs on a high-speed interface, generally using multiple data lanes + clock and using differential signals. To transmit these images digitally, you'll also need like WiFi capabilities. At this point you'll be way better off with using something that can run Linux, so you don't have to spend a few years programming all of this from scratch. Use separate parts, spending as little as you want (ie. crappy analog wireless video camera).

Robotnik

Mar 12, 2016
Have you considered the Ardurover project?

http://rover.ardupilot.com/

I've used the Ardupilot in Quadcopters and Planes, never tried a land vehicle, sounds interesting though.

You can PM me if you like if you any have questions about Ardupilot, it's the same board with different firmware for Planes, Helis, Quads, Land vehicles and Boats.

Neil

Last edited: