Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microcontroller Tutorial Needed

klj12574

Jun 9, 2009
I would like to start working with microcontrollers, I am looking for a good video on the subject. I tried You Tube but that was a waste of time. I picked up 123 Microcontroller Experiments for the Evil Genius at Barnes and Nobel because that was the ONLY microcontroller book that they had. Apparently this book is for a specific microcontroller and I will need to purchase a kit to go with it. This makes me reluctant to try purchasing a book on line. So does anyone know where I could find some good videos on line about what a microcontroller is, how they work and how to program one?

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
There are several books on the subject. The good ones fall into two categories:

Ones that assume that you already have basic knowledge and cover specific topics or cover the specifics for one particular type of microcontroller. They are most probably too advanced for you.

The second type start from scratch, assuming that you know nothing, and build your knowledge. They are usually targeted to a particular development board because they walk you through hands on examples for that specific hardware.

I am not familiar with the particular book in your post, but I did find a "123 PIC Microcontroller Experiments for the Evil Genius" on sale at many places. I am assuming that that is the book you have. That book uses the PIC which is a very popular microcontroller and a good one to learn. I would recommend that you buy the kit and follow the examples and experiments in the book.

If you do not like that book, then find another and buy its kit. If you already have a kit on hand, then look for a book that deals with what you have.

---55p

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Alternatively, you could start by looking at the PICAXE. It's easier to program and required less up-front to do so.

PICAXE's are especially good if your background doesn't include programming.

JEANETTE

Mar 29, 2010
Hi,
I'm new to this forum but am lookin for a manual as I need to edit a plc ladder, I've used Mitsubishi plc's a few years ago now but not with the software we have at work, as I'm more upto speed on seimens I was just wondering if anyone knows where I can download a manual fo

55pilot

Feb 23, 2010
I'm new to this forum but am lookin for a manual as I need to edit a plc ladder
Please start your own thread if you need help. Going an posting something completely unrelated to an existing thread is rude and usually counterproductive. Someone who is able to help with a PLC may not open a thread about Microcontrollers.

---55p

ElectronWorks

Aug 20, 2009
Start simple. If you can flash an LED on and off you are 90% of the way to becoming a microprocessor expert. All a micro is is a set of registers that you program to do stuff. That is all.

If you can get an LED to flash, you have proved that you:

Have found a program that enables you to edit a program
Have an assembler / compiler and can use it
Have managed to download the program into your micro
Have managed to run the code

The rest is just small steps up from that. If it takes you 2 weeks to get that LED to flash, it will be 2 weeks well spent (but with a PIC it should take about 2 hours)

coffeecuppepsi

Apr 4, 2010
100% with ElectronWorks!
It's all about the registers! check out the australian site Talking Electronics, they have a very good tutorial on PICs, they teach using assembler, although most people recommend staying away from it (more power, more potential to make mistakes) however! mistakes are not catastrophic!! you can make a mistake it doesn't mean london tower will fall down