Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microlab Solo 8C right speaker distorting

Cristian Cosmin Kercso

May 28, 2016
So i bought this pair of speakers about a month ago to use with my dj controller (DDJ SB2), and it hasn't seen heavy use since (about 10-12 hours of high volume play, not max). Today when i wanted to practice a bit i noticed distorted sound coming from the right speaker (the left speaker is working just fine). It doesn't matter what source i use, tested both input channels and different input devices (phone, laptop), or what volume it is at, the crackling is still there, and if i blow up the volume the sound just dies and the speakers crackle. I opened it up, no blown up capacitors, no awkward smell, no nothing. I have no idea what the cause might or how to get it fixed. bellow i attached 2 videos of the problem so you can make an idea about whats going on.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
hi there Cristian

welcome to EP

have you actually put the probably faulty speaker onto the good channel to prove if it is the speaker of the amplifier channel that is faulty ?
if not, that is your first step

It mite be just the speaker that is faulty, it may be just the amp channel ... it mite be both
to prove that you will also need to put a good speaker on that channel to see if the distortion is present

Dave

Cristian Cosmin Kercso

May 28, 2016
The solo 8c are powered speakers, so the right (faulty) speaker acts as the amp. It actually has 3 speakers inside, one for each range, and all of them are distorting. So i can't really connect the left speaker to the right channel. Any ideas ?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
OK then you need to actually, temporarily (at least), disconnect the right speaker and replace it with a known good speaker
of suitable wattage rating and see what happens