Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microphone doesn't work but standard output audio works

rasoolg

Feb 26, 2012
Hi all,

I have a gps device which has got a microphone input outlet which you can connect a microphone to it and use it as Bluetooth phone headset.
It came with a mono microphone which is not powerful enough. Because it is fixed in the car I connected a microphone to audio/video extension cable to it, so I can change the microphone easily without taking the whole thing out.
The problem I have got is now when we connect a microphone to it it doesn't work but if we connect an output audio like iPod to it it works fine.
It is very strange as the iPod output socket is the same as microphone and that works but not the microphone. I tried both stereo and mono microphones without any luck.

Any idea??

Thanks a lot

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
did the microphone work when directly plugged into the GPS unit ?

if so then its a problem with the extension cable you are using not being compatable

Dave

rasoolg

Feb 26, 2012
Hi,

The stero mic didn't work directly, but the mono worked. Question is why now the normal iPod output works but mic doesn't. What is the difference?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
not sure what the iPod has to do with the GPS unit ??
just work on one problem. the GPS unit ... is this a standard car nav unit ?

D

rasoolg

Feb 26, 2012
What I am trying to say is when you make a call via the navigator Bluetooth and a microphone connected, the other end doesn't hear anything but if you unplug the microphone and connect an iPad and play a music the other end will hear the music!
Same socket is used for microphone and iPad.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
I am too old to know abbout all this modern tackle, however, audio signals are normally sent from one instrument to another with about 0.5V (500mV).
Magnetic microphones give out about 5mV, so are your levels right.
What is the output level of the iPad and what is the output level of the microphone?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
The ipad output is at a far higher level than most microphones. (Ditto to duke37 :))

rasoolg

Feb 26, 2012
So, does it mean that if I get a powerful microphone it is going to work?
Is there any suggestion about the microphone type or model?

Thanks a lot

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
There's not really any such thing as a "more powerful" microphone. There are many types of microphones and you can't expect to just connect *any* mic and have it work.

I would recommend contacting the manufacturer for their recommendation.

If you are really attached to the mic you have and really want to use it, you may need to build a small amplifier.

twister

Feb 12, 2012
Maybe you could build or buy an audio amplifier. Maybe a CB power mike would work.