Maker Pro
Maker Pro

microwave oven popcorn burn

M

MJH

Jan 1, 1970
0
My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the
"popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The burned
smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints on
getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

thanks
 
H

Homer J Simpson

Jan 1, 1970
0
My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the
"popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The
burned smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints
on getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

Try leaving some powder carpet cleaner in it overnight - sprinkle - do not
heat.



--
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
 
C

Charles Schuler

Jan 1, 1970
0
MJH said:
My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the
"popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The
burned smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints
on getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

Baking soda and charcoal briquettes are typical odor eaters.
 
R

Radiosrfun

Jan 1, 1970
0
Charles Schuler said:
Baking soda and charcoal briquettes are typical odor eaters.

I used someone's microwave with a popcorn setting on it too - and it didn't
shut off before burning the popcorn. The question may be - how are those
functions "timed"? I find that when I use 4 minutes on my own unit - not
only does it do well with the popcorn, but shuts off in the alotted time.
I've used "popcorn" settings on other microwaves as well with poor results.
Why bother!
 
C

Charles Schuler

Jan 1, 1970
0
I used someone's microwave with a popcorn setting on it too - and it
didn't shut off before burning the popcorn. The question may be - how are
those functions "timed"? I find that when I use 4 minutes on my own unit -
not only does it do well with the popcorn, but shuts off in the alotted
time. I've used "popcorn" settings on other microwaves as well with poor
results. Why bother!

Huh? My cheepo microwave makes great popcorn on that setting. No bull ...
it really does, time after time.
 
R

Radiosrfun

Jan 1, 1970
0
Charles Schuler said:
Huh? My cheepo microwave makes great popcorn on that setting. No bull
... it really does, time after time.

I believe you - maybe "I" had a run of goofy ovens!
 
M

Meat Plow

Jan 1, 1970
0
My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the
"popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The burned
smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints on
getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

thanks

Toss a skunk in it for a few minutes.
 
J

John

Jan 1, 1970
0
I used someone's microwave with a popcorn setting on it too - and it didn't
shut off before burning the popcorn. The question may be - how are those
functions "timed"? I find that when I use 4 minutes on my own unit - not
only does it do well with the popcorn, but shuts off in the alotted time.
I've used "popcorn" settings on other microwaves as well with poor results.
Why bother!

I think the "popcorn" timing is a SWAG by some designer.
The one thing that does work reliably is the "stop when pops are more
than 3 seconds apart" from the popcorn bag itself. For our current
oven, that's 2:15 in the winter and 2:20 in the summer - the line
voltage is a little lower in the summer with all the airconditioners
running...

John
 
H

hr(bob) [email protected]

Jan 1, 1970
0
My microwave (late GE model) for some reason did not shut off via the
"popcorn" setting and totally burned a bag of microwave popcorn. The burned
smell is overwhelming. The oven still seems to work OK. Any hints on
getting the burned smell out? Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

thanks

Besides the other suggestions which work, I boil some water for 5 or
so minutes, the steam seems to help clear out the smell.

H. R. Hofmann
 
W

William R. Walsh

Jan 1, 1970
0
Hi!
I used someone's microwave with a popcorn setting on it too - and it
didn't shut off before burning the popcorn.

One thing that has appeared on microwave popcorn bags in the past few years
is a warning to *never* leave the corn popping unattended.

I have a GE oven that is a nice unit in every regard. (It even includes help
text that scrolls across the display for every button on it.) Its popcorn
function has yet to do anything but cause a bag of microwave popcorn to
burn.
The question may be - how are those functions "timed"?

A fair guess would be to say that a supposed-to-be-reasonable amount of time
is preprogrammed into the microcontroller. I've seen some ovens that let you
select a preset (such as dinner plate, muffins, popcorn, soup, etc...) and a
portion size. I have not seen an oven that actually claims to have a means
of detecting what is inside it and how much cooking time it will require.

William
 
W

William R. Walsh

Jan 1, 1970
0
Hi!
Any hints on getting the burned smell out?

Placing an opened box of baking soda in the oven may help. Heating a large
quantity of water may also help remove the smell. If you move air through
the room while the oven is operating, that should take even more of the odor
away. You might also try cleaning the inside of the oven with warm soapy
water, multipurpose surface cleaner or glass cleaner in a spray bottle.
Unplug the oven before cleaning it.
Is the oven likely damaged in any way?

There's only one real possibility I could see causing damage--if the popcorn
bag got to be so overheated that its contents leaked out, they could become
burned to the point of becoming electrically conductive. If not cleaned up,
this will cause arcing in the oven and possible additional damage.

If nothing escaped from the bag of popcorn, or if you clean it up soon (use
gentle instruments and cleaners only--nothing sharp!) there should be no
problem.

William
 
H

Homer J Simpson

Jan 1, 1970
0
A fair guess would be to say that a supposed-to-be-reasonable amount of
time
is preprogrammed into the microcontroller. I've seen some ovens that let
you
select a preset (such as dinner plate, muffins, popcorn, soup, etc...) and
a
portion size. I have not seen an oven that actually claims to have a means
of detecting what is inside it and how much cooking time it will require.

Look for the word 'Sensor' on it. 2 or 3 manufacturers make these and they
work well. Mine (Sharp) will cook a range of sizes automatically although I
never use that function, but the other sensor functions work fine.
 
J

Jon Danniken

Jan 1, 1970
0
William R. Walsh said:
A fair guess would be to say that a supposed-to-be-reasonable amount of
time
is preprogrammed into the microcontroller. I've seen some ovens that let
you
select a preset (such as dinner plate, muffins, popcorn, soup, etc...) and
a
portion size. I have not seen an oven that actually claims to have a means
of detecting what is inside it and how much cooking time it will require.

I know that some older microwave ovens used a humidity sensor to determine
how far cooking had progressed; I would imagine newer ones would use that
method as well.

Jon
 
C

Captain Midnight

Jan 1, 1970
0
Jon Danniken said:
require.

I know that some older microwave ovens used a humidity sensor to determine
how far cooking had progressed; I would imagine newer ones would use that
method as well.

Jon

The manual for my old Panasonic shows a model like you describe. Your
supposed to put plastic wrap over the dish. When it gets hot enough to
produce enough pressure to open the plastic the moisture release is what
stops it. I don't think normal microwave popcorn would have such an abrupt
moisture increase. Not saying your wrong, just pointing out it was a drastic
abrupt increase in that model from 25years ago.
 
H

Homer J Simpson

Jan 1, 1970
0
The manual for my old Panasonic shows a model like you describe. Your
supposed to put plastic wrap over the dish. When it gets hot enough to
produce enough pressure to open the plastic the moisture release is what
stops it. I don't think normal microwave popcorn would have such an abrupt
moisture increase. Not saying your wrong, just pointing out it was a
drastic
abrupt increase in that model from 25years ago.

That's how my new sensor oven works except it expects you to use popcorn in
a bag.

--
..

--
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..

--
 
C

Captain Midnight

Jan 1, 1970
0
Homer J Simpson said:
That's how my new sensor oven works except it expects you to use popcorn in
a bag.

--
Bags I use only have a small slot. The size never changes. The new circuitry
must be much more sensitive.
 
R

ray13

Jan 1, 1970
0
Baking soda and charcoal briquettes are typical odor eaters.


Put the oven in a sack
take it back to radio shack
and get your money back
is better than an odor hack
 
Top