Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microwave Oven technology

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
I have to buy a new microwave oven. Looking on the web there seems to be 2 technolgies: The traditional on/off ratio to achieve various power levels and 'inverter technology' which seems to actually adjust the power level, rather than switching the microwave on and off. My question is which one would be better? The old tech you could hear the transformer stress as it was switched on and off. The new tech will have electronics (I think) to achieve the various power levels.
As a gut instinct from anybody that wishes to comment:
1. Which technology will be more reliable?
2. Which technology would you prefer?

My gut instinct is to go for the inverter tech, but it is newer and might not be that reliable.

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
The buzz sound that you hear each time a heating cycle starts is caused by the magnetron filament heating up. During this time, the load on the transformer increases from almost zero to maximum, then it remains at maximum during the heating cycle. This is completely normal and does not mean that the transformer is being stressed.

That method of power control is quite simple. I hadn't heard about the new method until your post, but personally I would avoid it until it has proved reliable.

highpoint

Jul 13, 2014
To say the least inverter microwaves have been around for quite a while.

Anyway, GE/Panasonic... both great microwaves. Still have the Panasonic Genesis from the late 80's and still works like a dream.

Link: http://www.techlicious.com/review/microwave-ovens-with-inverter-technology-really-cook/

Image I found on the net of the old Panasonic Genesis, don't want to monkey around with a camera and uploading.

$_20.JPG

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Haha, PWM in the cooking world. 2 Min on 1 Min off, repeat.

This kind of tech has been around for ages. My new oven still does it with the heating elements, and so does my waffle iron.
It's simple, less to go wrong, and easy to fix. It's your call, but I'd stick with the proven method.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
I have been around the review sites and looked at ratings and after all of it is none the wiser. I have decided to give the inverter technology a chance and see how it goes. In the end it must be better to provide energy at the level you want rather than full power/off to gain an average.
Reliability, well that is another matter. It seems Panasonic is giving a 2 year warranty, which means they trust their design OR they are trying to avoid the wrath of their customers.

chucktin

Oct 21, 2018
I have been around the review sites and looked at ratings and after all of it is none the wiser. I have decided to give the inverter technology a chance and see how it goes. In the end it must be better to provide energy at the level you want rather than full power/off to gain an average.
Reliability, well that is another matter. It seems Panasonic is giving a 2 year warranty, which means they trust their design OR they are trying to avoid the wrath of their customers.
Am considering the same decision you made. How has the inverter microwave worked out for you?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
We used a Panasonic microwave for about 8 years with zero issues other than the door hinge breaking - which is why we dumped it. The electronics (power inverter) worked flawlessly.

I'd buy another and even recommend them to other people.