Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Microwave question

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Hi,
I have a PANASONIC MICROWAVE / CONVECTION OVEN.
(Panasonic® 1.0 CU.FT. CONVECTION Counter Top Microwave
MODEL NUMBER: NNCF781S)

When I FINALLY tried it out it would not shut off. I was eventually able to have the shop's technician come to assess and it locked him out; would or would not shut off (i.e. fan +/- lights stayed on even with short cook times, etc.)
and would shut off sometimes but other times required plug to be pulled out.

They had to replace the HV INVERTER and MAGNETRON - BTW, this was BRAND NEW (I assume they can tell isn't there some sort of chip that records / logs the number of times used?)

It came back today but still will not turn off. I did read in the manual the following:
“FAN MOTOR OPERATION
After using the oven repeatedly or for long time, the fan may operate to cool the electric components. This is perfectly normal and you can take out the food from the oven while the fan operates . It is recommended to keep the oven plugged in until the fan motor completely stops operating."

KEY WORDS:
REPEATEDLY (once or twice???)
or
FOR LONG TIMES (< 1 minute? maximum time I have kept it on is 3 minutes (it has stayed on longer)).....
BTW the whole oven is cool.

It also refers to this in the manual under the "Before Requesting Service"
"The fan motor continues operating after cooking is over" ->
Reason:" After using the oven, the fan motor will operate for several minutes to cool the electric components"

I have always had microwaves and NEVER had anything like this: Apart from (IMO) a real (or an imagined) safety problem, it will be a huge hydro waste.

Could someone PLEASE advise

Thanks!

Raven Luni

Oct 15, 2011
We gotta install microwaaave ovens...custom kitchen delivereeeeeeeeeeeey...we gotta move these....refridgerators...we gotta move these colour teeeveeeeeeeeeeeeees.....

*ahem* sorry.......
As for advice, take it back, get a refund, then get a completely different make and model from a completely different retailer. You dont ever mess with a microwave.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Oh yes, we are in dire straits :D

Apart from that: I second Raven's advise. I don't even think that first exchange of magnetron and hv-inverter had or has anything to do with the problem. Sounds more like the control circuit doesn't operate as expected.

Last edited:

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
You like it or you don't.

If you like it, you don't need a button to show it.
If you don't like it, you don't need a button either.

So there's no need for a "like" button. But then again, I'm admittedly old school.

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Thanks
I got it from SEARS Canada.

They will not take it back btw.
I took far too long finding out it had problems (And they took far too long getting a technician here and "fixing" it).

Is there a Web site that would enlighten Sears that staying on is not normal?

Thanks

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Here in Australia, we call that a court of law, not a website. Don't you have a Small Claims Court in Canada?

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Here in Australia, we call that a court of law, not a website. Don't you have a Small Claims Court in Canada?

Yes Small Claims Court exists here.

I just wanted to ensure that this is not normal - The other thing is that manual states this Fan_staying_on phenomenon twice:
“FAN MOTOR OPERATION
After using the oven repeatedly or for long time, the fan may operate to cool the electric components. This is perfectly normal and you can take out the food from the oven while the fan operates . It is recommended to keep the oven plugged in until the fan motor completely stops operating."

and
under the
"Before Requesting Service" table
"The fan motor continues operating after cooking is over" ->
Reason:" After using the oven, the fan motor will operate for several minutes to cool the electric components".
Here it does not say "repeatedly" or "long time"

I just want to ensure that "long time" is longer than 2 minutes and that repeatedly is more than twice....

BTW it is a convection microwave - I have NOT used the convection part at all.

Here is the microwave:
"Panasonic® 1.0 CU.FT. CONVECTION Counter Top Microwave"
http://www.sears.ca/product/panason...-counter-top-microwave/622-000097055-NNCF781S

Thanks!

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
yes well...
i sympathise and have assisted to the extent of my ability, but since this is a forum for those interested in the design and construction of high technology equipment, rather than a local community desk, there is probably little more I can offer except to recommend you to your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or equivalent.
:)

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
"Like" buttons work as post promoters, so if someone scanning likes a particular post he can advertise the fact and so recommend it to others' attention.
Probably any such question of a "like" button would have to be addressed by the people who develop the forum software.

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
yes well...
i sympathise and have assisted to the extent of my ability, but since this is a forum for those interested in the design and construction of high technology equipment, rather than a local community desk, there is probably little more I can offer except to recommend you to your local Citizens' Advice Bureau or equivalent.
:)

Just to clarify: what I was trying to ask was whether a microwave oven fan staying on after cooking can be normal.

I am not asking for legal advice etc.
I was asking for technical advice - I am not sure where else I can ask a question concerning the normal functioning of a microwave oven.

poor mystic

Apr 8, 2011
Fair enough too.
My bad, my answer should have been to the first post not an intermediate post.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Whilst I would expect the fan to stay on after convection heating, but I've never had it happen on a microwave oven (yes, I had a convection microwave for a large number of years)

PTaylor

Jan 26, 2013
Just to clarify: what I was trying to ask was whether a microwave oven fan staying on after cooking can be normal.

I am not asking for legal advice etc.
I was asking for technical advice - I am not sure where else I can ask a question concerning the normal functioning of a microwave oven.

Fro what you've posted, the manual states the fan motor MAY stay on for some time after microwave use. It just doesn't say how long. You stated that it does stay on, but I don't recall how long you said it stays on before turning off.

Obviously it is temperature related, and once the temp gets below a certain level, the fan turns off.

It sounds like it's doing what it's suppose to do.

Sears can be buggers on warranties. A family member of mine is going round and round with them on a warranty claim with their highest end washing machine. They basically had to take the unit to the store, raise h#ll with the people in the store and on the phone at the same time, and still paid several hundred dollars out of pocket to get Sears to replace the part UNDER WARRANTY....... and it still doesn't work. It's been two months and still......

There's a lesson here.

VXtanyaXV

Jan 14, 2010
Whilst I would expect the fan to stay on after convection heating, but I've never had it happen on a microwave oven (yes, I had a convection microwave for a large number of years)

Thanks
Now I notice that when "the fan" remains on (even after 1 minute on medium, for example) it still pops...(as though it is *still* cooking)