Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Milwaukee !8v batteries have power/Not working

groovejet

Feb 27, 2011
Does anyone have experience with Milwaukee 18 v red lithium batteries?

The two ive got have stopped working and are pretty new.
Ive took them apart and tested the cells and they all show up 3.8v which is great, in total exceeds the 18v .
The cells are in 2 rows of 5 cells, 10 cells in total, all seem good.

So ....at first i thought it could be battery dicharge problems, as they have circuits now to shut of batteries before damage occurs.
But the cells are charged up so ??? aint gota clue.

PCB in battery must be putting the brakes on releasing that 3ah of power somehow.

Ive released the torx screw in pcb but the pcb doesnt seem to want to come out easily!!

Has anyone had experiance with these???

Thanx

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
Did you test the cells under load? You need to draw a certain amount of current from the cell while measuring its voltage, to check for high internal resistance.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Did you test the cells under load? You need to draw a certain amount of current from the cell while measuring its voltage, to check for high internal resistance.
If at all possible... try to measure the voltage on the battery while it's in use.
The voltage of a dead battery will sharply drop when under load, even though it's open circuit voltage appears to be correct or 'charged'

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
I'd be looking for any thermal overload component that might have been damaged. (Causing the tool to stop working).
I remember in the recent past somebody asking a question about the protective circuits in these new-fangled electric hand-tools.
Some of them are pretty complicated. The other post involved a special LED code-emitting tool that was needed to 'reset' the hand-tool.
Something to do with how many hours the tool operated, and then 'needing' to be sent in for 'factory service' and inspection at a particular 'hours-of-usage' interval.
I don't know if that's the case here or not. Just a trivia point to be aware of.
The other post's information indicated his particular electric hand-tool became disabled after 'x' number of hours, and had to be 'reset' after inspection by a factory authorizaed service center.

Scotophor

Oct 8, 2014
Sounds like a scam, and probable basis for class-action lawsuit!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Sounds like a scam, and probable basis for class-action lawsuit!
Hard to tell. Op has not provided any additional information or symptoms.
I'm open to helping resolve faults, if a fault is there.