Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mini Golf Windmill

Dipswitch9000

Apr 19, 2022
Greetings EP community,

I work at a Camp with a Miniature Golf course which we are renovating. Part of that renovation is the addition of a classic windmill complete with moving blades attached to a windshield wiper motor. My goal is to power it with the 110 I have available but also have it connected through a motion sensor at the beginning of the hole. That way a kid can walk up, swing their club in front of the sensor and set the blades to spinning.

If it is possible and I wanted the blades to run for 30 seconds before turning off, would that require something like an Arduino?

Thank you for any advice!

Dip

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
A simple timer relay activated by whatever detection system you prefer (light beam, body, touch etc).

Both items can be bought off-the-shelf but consider using a simple motion detector as per motion-sensitive lights. Properly angled/aimed it will only activate when you expect it to and these devices often have volts-free contacts that can be used to set off an off-the-shelf timer relay.

In fact, many motion sensitive devices also have timers fitted so instead of powering a light for x-seconds when it detects a body, set it to power the mill.... i.e. replace the light with the motor.

The KISS principle applies.

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Something to consider when you mention mains supply to a "home made or modified device" when used in a public environment.
You will find it will most certainly need initial certification as well as periodic testing to keep the insurance companies and other local or state authorities happy.
Not to forget the mechanical aspect as well.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
An Arduino can be used but is overkill for this application.

In addition: Use a 12 V power supply and operate the timer and sensor on the 12 V side only. You will need the 12 V for the wiper motor anyway.
Suitable timer+relay modules can easily be found online.
What kind of sensor do you have in mind?

Working only on the 12 V side considerably reduces the risk of electric shock or similar hazards. The 12 V power supply is then probably the only unit that needs regular inspection, as @Bluejets mentioned.

Erstwhile

Apr 12, 2022
Floor switches in parallel on each side of the tee to trigger the motor?