Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Mins from CR2032 @ 200mA?

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
For how many minutes could a CR2032 coin cell supply 200mA?

What kind of miniature cell or battery is best at supplying this sort of current for the longest time?

It's to run a 9V 200mA camera on a pet's collar, so the power supply must be as small and unobtrusive as possible.

Maybe I could put hearing aid batteries around the collar instead of diamantes or studs?

Any ideas or info welcome. Thanks.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
Have a look for 808#16(or Mobius) camera - both have an inbuilt LiPo battery, is quite small, weighs nothing and has a builtin SD card reader/writer. It runs for an hour to 2 hours on a single charge of the battery. These are action cams and record in HD at 30fps. They sell for around £26 on fleabay. I use one in a quadcopter because of its low cost, weight and size.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Your collar could run for hours if the LEDs were flashed with a very long off time compared to the on time.

If the off time is 200 times as long as the on time (a single 5ms pulse every second), the average current draw would be 1mA. If this charges a capacitor, the battery may not even see a significant current pulse.

I'm not sure I'd be totally comfortable with a LIPO battery on a dog, it could be subject to hard knocks (or even bites). If you do use one, protect it.

flippineck

Sep 8, 2013
Thanks guys. It's actually for a cat. Found some info on the mobius - great thanks :)

Kinda wondering now about a change of plan though, this cat goes missing for a week at a time & I want to find out where it's going. Me & the missus thought it was one particular neighbour down the road trying to nick the animal, but after lots of to'ing & fro'ing with the local community support officer etc., turns out this neighbour might not be totally to blame after all.. looks like the cat's got multiple homes lol

So seeing as when you look deeper into it, it's hard to come up with a collar camera that's small but also able to constantly transmit for so long.. I started wondering about some sort of radio 'pinger'. Would that be a simpler easier idea?

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
There are GPS devices you can place on a pet that will track them in real time.

Bob

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
A camera might also land you in court for breach of privacy as the cat could photograph anything. A GPS would be a better solution and I have not looked but I am sure there will be off the shelf solutions, but they will most likely include a tracking service. The other thing is that GPS does not work indoors, so the cat will still 'disappear' for periods while indoors. At least you will have its last known position. Foumd this pet tracking service for 4.99Euro per month
Pet Tracking