Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modding a lamp

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
YOU SAY . . .

it will probably take close to a month to arrive
I have no idea of your location . . . . .¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ are we located in some obscure and remote 1869th World country ? ? ? ?

Do you not have knowledge of any/ some LOCAL person who is an electronics hobbyist and has some related "stuff" / parts .
Or an electronics repair shop or some local college that instructs in electronics and one of their instructors or even a student of same .
An amateur radio ( HAM) hobbyist and their on hand parts resources.

A high school "GEEK" who is, all time, tearing down curb find electronics for their "free" parts resourcing and using them.

I believe that if they are confronted and you explained your situation , that any of these would be equally interested and even GIVE you the required 5 cent 1 K resistor and very short length of 20-26 gauge insulated wire . . . . . or . . . . . its even for free from one of the wires in a multiple cable used by phone installers . . . . or common CAT-5 cable will yield its multiple usable wires.

Isn't a small simple / common on off switch locally available at a big box Home Depot or Lowe's or your equivalent local hardware store ?

Assuredly . . . . . a sympathetic person with their peaked interest of the final results, would also do your minor soldering ***** work.

***** That soldering iron you referred to . . . . . is a VERY good buy . . . . and my #1 son has one like it and uses it, and it works fine for him.

73's de Edd . . . . .

Last edited:

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
YOU SAY . . .

I have no idea of your location . . . . .¿ ¿ ¿ ¿ are we located in some obscure and remote 1869th World country ? ? ? ?

Do you not have knowledge of any/ some LOCAL person who is an electronics hobbyist and has some related "stuff" / parts .
Or an electronics repair shop or some local college that instructs in electronics and one of their instructors or even a student of same .

A high school "GEEK" who is, all time, tearing down curb find electronics for their "free" parts resourcing and using them.

I believe that if they are confronted and you explained your situation , that any of these would be equally interested and even GIVE you the required 5 cent 1 K resistor and very short length of 20-26 gauge insulated wire . . . . . or . . . . . its even for free from one of the wires in a multiple cable used by phone installers . . . . or common CAT-5 cable will yield its multiple usable wires.

Isn't a small simple / common on off switch locally available at a big box Home Depot or Lowe's or your equivalent local hardware store ?

Assuredly . . . . . a sympathetic person with their peaked interest of the final results, would also do your minor soldering ***** work.

***** That soldering iron you referred to . . . . . is a VERY good buy . . . . and my #1 son has one like it and uses it, and it works fine for him.

73's de Edd . . . . .
na we have stores, but im lazy ) aliexpress has free shipments anyways ) maybe thats why they are slow, 15-30 days. already ordered.

hey, my LEDs have two wires each, white & yellow & white & grey, do you know which one in positive & negative? do the colors mean something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
hey, my leds have two wires each, white & yellow & white & grey, do you know which one in positive & negative? do the colors mean something
Apologies for not reading the entire 63 Posts I may have something to contribute; Would your LEDs look like any one of these?
Screenshot_20230404_022429_1680601064031.png

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Apologies for not reading the entire 63 Posts I may have something to contribute; Would your LEDs look like any one of these?
View attachment 58621
i dont know, cant see the leds, its called "Gemmy Misting Lab Beaker"

the wires are straight tho, so maybe it means its one of the 3 left ones?

Last edited by a moderator:

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
View attachment 58621
i think i figured out something, on the circuit board the white wires ends have a line going out from them, while it doesnt looks like it from the color wire, so it means the wire is positive or negative?

Attachments

• 666.jpg
    666.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 6

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
If it gets too complicated with Edd, use my diagram for batteries > switch > resistor > LEDs.
Yes, is the answer to your previous question of mine.

Martin
hey, do you know which wire is the positive? i think this picture shows it, the right side of both the red squares has a line from it, while the left doesnt, so it should tell which is the positive, right?

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
If it gets too complicated with Edd, use my diagram for batteries > switch > resistor > LEDs.

Martin
this pic

Attachments

• 666 (1).jpg
    666 (1).jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 3

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
YOU SAY . . .

73's de Edd . . . . .
hey, i tried to do your method but i think the components on the circuit are too small, so i decided doing hes method, but it didnt worked, i think my soldering skills are bad :) also i wanted to check the tweeter for you but it was too late, i cut some wires already, going to think what to do next, thanks anyway!!

cards1

Jan 5, 2023

Martin
hey, i tried to do your method but it didnt worked, i think my soldering skills are bad ) or the soldering iron is bad, anyway ill see what ill do next, thanks anyway!

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I’m not sure what you think is so complicated?.
It’s simply a switch and LEDs!.

Martin

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
I’m not sure what you think is so complicated?.
It’s simply a switch and LEDs!.

Martin
i did it, but one of the leds doesnt works, if I remove one of the leds then the resistor should stay the same one, right?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
LEDs are polarised, meaning they only conduct when wired correctly.
People confuse LEDs with having a positive and negative leg, when they actually have an anode and cathode. As you can’t get to them on your project, a small CR2032 battery can be used to verify if the LED works and also check the polarity. Simply hold the wires on the small batteries terminals. If it illuminates, all is good. If it doesn’t, swap the wires on the battery.

Martin

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
LEDs are polarised, meaning they only conduct when wired correctly.
People confuse LEDs with having a positive and negative leg, when they actually have an anode and cathode. As you can’t get to them on your project, a small CR2032 battery can be used to verify if the LED works and also check the polarity. Simply hold the wires on the small batteries terminals. If it illuminates, all is good. If it doesn’t, swap the wires on the battery.

Martin
ye I've checked it, I think its burnt, so if I remove one of the leds then the resistor should stay the same one, right?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
That really depends on the current limiting resistor you’ve used?.
If you show a quick drawing of your connections, I will try and help you.
Please include the power supply/battery voltage and resistor value.

Martin

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
That really depends on the current limiting resistor you’ve used?.
If you show a quick drawing of your connections, I will try and help you.
Please include the power supply/battery voltage and resistor value.

Martin
you told me to use 30 ohm resistor for the two leds, Assuming 2.1 Vf. the batteries are 3 AA 1.5v each, & I just removed 1 led. what do you mean by drawing? its just 1 led batteries & a switch, you need a pic?

bertus

Nov 8, 2019
Hello,

For the series resistor you must use the following value:
R= (Vbatt-Vleds) / Ileds.
Where:
Vbatt is the battery voltage
Vleds is the total forward voltage of the leds
Iled is the wanted current through the leds.

So in your case the resistor will be for a 10 mA current:
(4.5 - 4.2)volts / 0.01 Amp = 30 Ohms

When you remove one led the current will be:
(4.5 - 2.1) Volts / 30 ohms = 0.08 Amp , wich is 80 mA , wich will likely blow the led.

Bertus

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Hello,

Where:

(4.5 - 2.1) Volts / 30 ohms = 0.08 Amp , wich is 80 mA , wich will likely blow the led.

Bertus
so what resistor should i use for one led?

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Hello,

Where:

Bertus
btw i tried the led without a resistor at all for couple of seconds, it didnt blew, it was brighter tho, less brighter with the 30 ohm resistor.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Use upward of 200 Ohms.
@bertus gave you the formula above.
The max current for your LED is probably 25mA. But it all depends on the required brightness. Try a 1K resistor and see if the brightness is acceptable. If not, come down in value and see what brightness you prefer.

Martin

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Use upward of 200 Ohms.
@bertus gave you the formula above.
The max current for your LED is probably 25mA. But it all depends on the required brightness. Try a 1K resistor and see if the brightness is acceptable. If not, come down in value and see what brightness you prefer.

Martin
ok thanks!