Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modding a lamp

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
hello, i have this lamp i wanted to remove the audio from, so i just unsoldered the speaker, & it worked, is this fine? or do i need to add a resistor? it uses 3 AA batteries, here is a video of the lamp.
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004770875002.html
Thanks for scaring the bejesus out of me!! You're asking the question after the fact.. amplifiers need to see a load which is the speaker so I get it about adding the resistor. Take a photo of the speaker you pulled out. The backside I need to see what's written on it

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
If in the future you wish to hear the audio again no it's not fine.

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Thanks for scaring the bejesus out of me!! You're asking the question after the fact.. amplifiers need to see a load which is the speaker so I get it about adding the resistor. Take a photo of the speaker you pulled out. The backside I need to see what's written on it
sorry for the scare ) here is the pic

Attachments

• 20231022_185902.jpg
    20231022_185902.jpg
    340.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231022_185954.jpg
    20231022_185954.jpg
    348.8 KB · Views: 6

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Here's your audio amplifier kiss that little transistor goodbye!
Would you happen to know how to use a multimeter since you already have the speaker out or disconnected measure resistance of the speaker it'll give you an approximation of the value resistors to use. You going to need more than one.
Do you know how to solder you can't get away with the straight resistor you got to make it a little L pad to mimic the impedance of the speaker.
photo_1697991799465.png

Last edited:

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Here's your audio amplifier kiss that little transistor goodbye!
Would you happen to know how to use a multimeter since you already have the speaker out or disconnected measure resistance of the speaker it'll give you an approximation of the value resistor to use.
Do you know how to solder you can't get away with the straight resistor you got to make it a little L pad to mimic the impedance of the speaker.
View attachment 61158
I don't have a multimeter, maybe you know approximately? I already have 27/30/33/1k resistors, maybe one of them?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I don't have a multimeter, maybe you know approximately? I already have 27/30/33/1k resistors, maybe one of them?
Do you know how to solder?

If you do know how to solder, solder that speaker back in. To confirm that you didn't pop that transistor already you don't have to see physical signs damage on that transistor for it to fail.
I got to go kiddo got to go hiking with my doggies.

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Do you know how to solder?

If you do know how to solder that speaker back in. To confirm that you didn't pop that transistor already you don't have to see physical signs damage on that transistor for it to fail.
why do i need that transistor tho? i dont want audio.

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
Sorry about the spelling I'm on speech to text I guess I'll say that up front from now on.
If you would like to someday hear the audio again then it would be wise to terminate the transistor to an L pad which would replace the speaker
You see that little green blob it's called a (cob) "chip on board" it controls the lights and audio he might just heat up and burn all the connections you won't be able to see that image anymore it may not be what you want to hear but it's a very real possibility you made damage it beyond repair. It may work for a little bit throw overtime it will degrade one day you can turn it on and nothing's going to work.

cards1

Jan 5, 2023
Sorry about the spelling I'm on speech to text I guess I'll say that up front from now on.
If you would like to someday hear the audio again then it would be wise to terminate the transistor to an L pad which would replace the speaker
You see that little green blob it's called a (cob) "chip on board" it controls the lights and audio he might just heat up and burn all the connections you won't be able to see that image anymore it may not be what you want to hear but it's a very real possibility you made damage it beyond repair. It may work for a little bit throw overtime it will degrade one day you can turn it on and nothing's going to work.
I see, I won't need the audio again, so how will I turn it off then?

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I see, I won't need the audio again, so how will I turn it off then?
Does it have a volume control knob on it? You know what forget that last sentence I guess it won't hurt you already have it off took the speaker out so..
I don't think you could repair or do any modifications. enjoy!
I don't think I can help you sorry kiddo.

Last edited:

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Awwwww.... wassup?

Can't handle the truth?

Am I to just sit back and let you tell visitors to the forum a load of tosh? We're supposed to be here to help, not bolster our own post count for the sake of it.

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020

I'm worried when you and if you cut out the speaker,you might have shorted the wires together by accident or a bare wire may have came in contact with another part of the printed circuit board if you had cut the wires one by one then you're okay.
In these little toy audio amplifier output stage(that little transistor) do not necessarily need to see a load.(Your speaker)
My suggestion was just out of an overabundance of caution.
Have fun kiddo!

Last edited: