Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modify a cable connection to use 1 camera to 'feed' 2 units.

Beast-of-Burden

Sep 4, 2020
I've got an inferred camera that attaches to a rifle scope for night shooting. It connects to an LCD monitor for viewing thru scope. (it's powered by 7.5vdc)
With nothing changed it works well at night for reducing feral hogs at around 100-125yds.
But... being a tinkerer I like to modify it to do something extra.
Currently the camera is connected to the monitor screen & battery power via a 3.5mm cable. I assume it supplies the camera with power & the monitor with the camera's video. (looks like a 3-connector plug). I'd like to figure out a way that 3.5mm connection could (with a 'Y' adapter or ?) also supply the video from the camera to a recording device as well as the original monitor. If the camera could send to both (by cable or ??) maybe some Bluetooth adapter is out there. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.cam-monitor-cable.jpg

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Have a look for 3.5mm Y lead. It’s basically a headphone sharing cable. You might already own one.

Beast-of-Burden

Sep 4, 2020
True but being an audio connector I'm concerned which of the three wire positions is used for video feed, power received and a shared ground. Looking inside the camera I can't tell by the area of the printed circuit board the wires are for. If I use the 'Y' connecter with the current monitor screen there wouldn't be an issue but to make sure the same 3 wires from some recorder are in the same position... I'll need to figure that part out. Thanks for the reply.

Beast-of-Burden

Sep 4, 2020
OK, found a possible item that could be used to record the video from the camera (with a change in operating voltage).
It's a RunCam Mini FPV DVR that many use on small radio controlled flying toys. It takes a memory card, uses 5vdc, the 3 wires from the camera attaches one side, (normally three wires would then go to a monitor or controller). If I used a Y connector on the camera one would go to the normal monitor screen and the other would go to this DVR. Any RC experts out there that sees an issue with this plan? ThanksRunCamMiniDVR.jpg

Beast-of-Burden

Sep 4, 2020
In my case the power comes from the monitor to the camera at 7.5vdc... this dvr takes 5vdc so there's one issue.

Beast-of-Burden

Sep 4, 2020
Looks like this step down converter could resolve the difference in power needs. My set up runs on 7.5vdc and the DVR is 5vdc.

5V:
Input voltage 6.6-40V,output 5V
Maximum output current 1A
DC-DC Step-Down Converter module working frequency 550KHz. efficiency is 75-90%.
Quiescent current: about 1.5MA
Overtemperature shutdown, input under-voltage protection, BS-voltage protection, and short circuit protection.
2.54mm pin pitch, Arduiuo UNO MEGA2560 Breadboard MCU Development Board friendly
Size 18.3mm x 10.2mm x 6.7mm( small)
Weight:about 1.1g(Very light)