Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Modular house - intercoms won't work from front to back.

MamaBear 2015

Nov 21, 2015
Looks like I can just parallel 5 of the .01uF 3KV ceramics and do the trick. They'll be 16 ohms at 200 KHz and 54k at 60Hz. Less than a watt of power.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Balancing circuits for power is not done on the basis of what is plugged in although I tend to keep laundry and kitchen sections seperate.
When a house is wired it is done on the basis of number of points.
Attempting to balance light against power circuits is a waste of time given power at 1000w average and lighting (especially now LED ) at 60w per point.
Better an extension lead than letting the op attack his sw board I would think.
No offense, but you do not know what your talking about.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Balancing circuits for power is not done on the basis of what is plugged in although I tend to keep laundry and kitchen sections seperate.
When a house is wired it is done on the basis of number of points.
Attempting to balance light against power circuits is a waste of time given power at 1000w average and lighting (especially now LED ) at 60w per point.
Better an extension lead than letting the op attack his sw board I would think.
I don't remember any one suggesting the op do any work themselves.
As a licensed Master Electrician, I can say exactly how loads are calculated and balanced, and it has nothing to do with points here in USA.
Extension cords are for temporary use only, using extension cords as a substitute for permanent wiring is a violation or section 400 of the NEC.

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
Doesn't load balancing happens automatically in most boxes due to the staggering of the bus bars? - i.e. a 240 circuit is going to grab a bar from each side of the service and thus balance. Even if you filled one side of the box with 110v circuits, due to the staggered nature, it should self balance. Unless you purposefully engage every other slot with a heavy load circuit...

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
A decent capacitor will not disipate any significant amount of power. The current is out of phase.

Tha fios agaibh

Aug 11, 2014
Doesn't load balancing happens automatically in most boxes due to the staggering of the bus bars? - i.e. a 240 circuit is going to grab a bar from each side of the service and thus balance. Even if you filled one side of the box with 110v circuits, due to the staggered nature, it should self balance. Unless you purposefully engage every other slot with a heavy load circuit...
In single phase (split phase) most 240v loads do not need balancing because they draw the same on each leg, but 120v loads do because the loading will vary so much. Also, the way loads are calculated has a lot more considerations besides the amperage.
So naturally you want the amperage as even as possible on both rails, so the neutral (grounded conductor) will not have to carry the burden of significant unbalanced currents.