Maker Pro
Maker Pro

module to reverse fuel gauge reading from sending unit help.

04colyZQ8

Feb 27, 2011
I have a fuel sending unit that reads empty 40 ohms and full 250 ohms. But my gauge expects to see full 40 ohms empty 250 ohms.

example; right now my tank is full of gas, but my gauge reads empty.

I need a module that will inverse the Resistance is this possible what do I need to make it any help is appreciated??

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
I'd try any other approach before attempting to make such a circuit. Googling the matter brings up a sparse population of relevant hits though.
Here's a thread discussing the matter, but without coming to a conclusion.
Here's a similar question in a magazine, being proposed an actual solution (or two).

04colyZQ8

Feb 27, 2011
I'd try any other approach before attempting to make such a circuit. Googling the matter brings up a sparse population of relevant hits though.
Here's a thread discussing the matter, but without coming to a conclusion.
Here's a similar question in a magazine, being proposed an actual solution (or two).

thanks , everything you posted and what I have found is others needing different ohm readings I just need to reverse mine, isn't that simpler? I am not very good at electronics so I wouldn't be able to modify a circuit diagram to suite my needs I am good at soldering though, so ounce I have a diagram to follow I could build it.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
thanks , everything you posted and what I have found is others needing different ohm readings I just need to reverse mine, isn't that simpler? I am not very good at electronics so I wouldn't be able to modify a circuit diagram to suite my needs I am good at soldering though, so ounce I have a diagram to follow I could build it.

no its not simpler, not with electronics, which is why they converted it to a variable voltage.
The simple way is to replace either the meter or the sender with one that does the opposite to what you have.
that is get a meter that suits (matches) the sender. Obviously they are not a matched set, ie. from the same vehicle

Dave

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I would get 2 small stickers, one with an E of it and one with an F on it and place them over the original ones.

As long as you're seeing a full range of movement from your gauge between empty and full this may be a simple and cheap solution. :)