Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Momantary, non stopping rotary switch

TheLemur

Mar 8, 2018
Hi guys,

Seems like you're all friendly here from the other posts I've read, hopefully you can help me out.

TL; DR at the bottom.

I've built an Arduino powered macro keyboard, it has a few buttons on it which when pressed send a key command to my pc which are then intercepted and processed by autohotkey.

I want to add a volume knob to this setup but can't find the correct type. It should be like a button in terms of its output, as in each click in one direction is a button push, and each click in the other direction is a different button push. Ideally when not being turned it's grounded, however that isn't necessary.

The main requirements are:
- Each turn in one direction has the exact same output no matter how many times it has been turned.
- there's no limit to how many times it can turn (like there is with a pot).
- Turns both ways, each having a separate output.

The reasoning for this method over a pot, is that the pc volume could vary from what the pot's value represents on plugging in, either resulting in limited adjustment or a sudden volume change, neither are nice results.

I know such a switch is out there, as it is in use on my radio, but finding one online has proved tougher than I imagined, likely since I don't know what it's called.

TL;Dr: Rotating switch, like a potentiometer, except each click of the knob sends out a signal as if it were a button.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Sounds something like a rotary wafer switch with the stop removed, these come with as many wafer segments you need and rotary positions.
M.