Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Momentary Push Buttons

exvswat238

Oct 12, 2010
Hello, I am designing a State-Of-The-Art voice evacuation panel, and I am now working on the voice command module, and there are a variety of buttons, to give some examples: EVAC, ALERT, PHONE PAGE, ALL CALL, STROBE, ALL CALL MINUS, etc. What I want to know is if I should use a latching relay for my design, which implements membrane buttons, I'd prefer a device in a DIP packaging, but if I have to resort to relays, I will, and it must meet RoHS standards and be lead free, as the entire panel will be.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Any reason you won't be using logic, or even the output of a microprocessor?

Relays don't exactly define "state-of-the-art" these days.

Perhaps you should indicate what you want to use these relays for. Otherwise it's really hard to give a sensible answer.

exvswat238

Oct 12, 2010
I'm trying to avoid the use of relays, but when the membrane button is pushed, it will stay on, activating an LED indicator, and when pressed again, it will turn off, along with the LED indicator.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
Not sure what's in the panel, but i bet that the toggling of the LED (and associated function) is due to the associated circuitry, not the "momentary" membrane switch.

Ken

exvswat238

Oct 12, 2010
What I'm try to figure out is what makes a momentary switch act like a stay-in-position switch, which I cannot use (SIP Switch), utilizing a device of some sort, like an IC.

KMoffett

Jan 21, 2009
"there are a variety of buttons"
Is this an existing panel that you're attempting to interface with the voice activation module? Do you have a schematic of the panel? Are you intending to parallel the existing buttons with the voice module outputs?

Ken

exvswat238

Oct 12, 2010
No, this is a new brand of panel, to compete with EST, Simplex, Silent Knight, etc., so I can't release the schematics, but there are about 13 buttons on the 11-VCMXL (the product model code), the voice command module. The tactile membrane switches have a 5-pin interface, and when, for example, the Alert button is pressed, the Alert message will play. When pressed again, it will stop the Alert message. It's going to be an on/off switch.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
So you want us to help you understand a circuit that you won't share with us?

I suggest the membrane switches are probably digital locking thronomisters.