Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motion activated solenoid (wireless)

MCON2024

Jan 10, 2024
I am not sure if this is possible, but I need some help with an idea I have. I am trying to utilize a garage door style safety sensor (photo 1), to control a mini electromagnetic solenoid lock (photo 2) so that when something crosses the beam the solenoid is "open", and once it's clear of the beam the solenoid stays "closed"

The part I am having trouble with is I want the the lock to be wireless. Either bluetooth or radio type relay, and very compact. I am just not sure what type of relay(s) to use. The third photo below is what I found on amazon, but not sure if it's even close to what will work.

Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I am a complete novice when it comes to this stuff.

71x2sFEn5+L._AC_SL1500_.jpg61pVtG5-prL._AC_SL1100_.jpg
61Ynyg4Sd8L._AC_SL1100_.jpg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Need to be more detailed in your requirements, such as what voltages, which photo is (1) and which is (2) ...they look like one large image to me with no sensor to speak of. If those 2 black rails are some sort of sensor, details there would be helpful. 2 relay modules seem to be just that, relays, not actually a sensor.

Better to quote your application in detail rather than begin by offering up your solutions.

Solenoids like this tend to be referred to as "energised" or "de-energised" just so there is no confusion as to what you consider "open" or "closed".
As a side note, solenoids do tend to have a duty cycle unlike contactors, where the time energised is plotted against "de-energised". Reason being they can overheat if energised for too long a period.

Appears you want someone to design the complete system based on your relatively sketchy description which most will refuse to do.

Last edited:

Delta Prime

Jul 29, 2020
I am not sure if this is possible, but I need some help with an idea I have. I am trying to utilize a garage door style safety sensor
Not only is it possible it could be achieved with the high degree of success. Your garage door style safety sensor can be integrated with the remote control.