Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motion Sensor Desk?

Revolution

Dec 19, 2013
Hi, i had an idea for some work im doing for my sixth form studies. We have to make something and im making a desk and i am putting some LED strip which has the ability to change colour thanks to a remote. I was wondering if i could use something like a motion sensor to trigger the lights on when you sit at it so it looks like the desk has sensed you and has come to life?

Any ideas are welcome as to what type of sensor to use or anything :)

Thanks

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
There are a phenomenally large number of ways this could be done, you can set up a motion sense outlet like this here, and mount the motion sensor under the desk so it only senses when you sit down/move... though this could lead to it shutting off if you sit still long enough.

Getting a little more involved I would set up a few beam sensors that go across the desk opening (where your legs go) and when the beams are unbroken they cause a relay (Mech or SSR) to stay open, then when you break the beam by sitting down they come on, and you could easily set it up so that when they become unbroken again it waits a while before it shuts the lights off again.

Revolution

Dec 19, 2013
Ah thanks that gives me an idea, thats what i was going for. A beam that gets broken and turns on the light. would i need a chip to control all of this?

Revolution

Dec 19, 2013
im sorry, my knowledge on parts to control sensors is a bit lacking hahaha so i will be asking alot of questions :p