Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Motor Speed Control

Emesine

Jun 19, 2017
I currently have a Baldor KL1205a motor installed on a machine. This is a 1/3 HP 230VAC single speed motor with a start capacitor on a centrifugal switch.

I need to convert this to a variable speed motor. What is the easiest way to do this?

I can access the wires to the start capacitor phase very easily. My first thought is to wire the start phase to a separate power supply, then turn on this phase during only the first 500 ms of starting up the motor. Then control the speed there-after using a simple triac controller (Nimbus, made by control resources, is what I have in mind.)

Thanks!

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
This is a messy way of doing it and is likely to be unsucessful. An AC motor is designed to run at a certain speed depending on the mains frequency. Throttling the input may involve extra current and poorer cooling.

The modern way is to use a three phase motor driven with a variable frequency and voltage. Convertors will operate from single phase.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Agree, 1ph cap start induction motors tend to drop out of run at low rpm and/or on load.
Especially a Triac controller would not cut it.
You could go with a DC T.M. motor and controller, although being much larger, torque wise, it would be physically smaller than your 2pole 1/3rd HP motor.
Another alternative is a smaller DC motor and one of the Really cheap 555 based PWM DC motor controllers on ebay.
M.

Emesine

Jun 19, 2017
Thank you both, you've answered my question.

In order to find a replacement for this motor, I need to look at the frame type and the mount type, is this correct? I'm attaching the data sheet for the currently mounted motor for reference. 56c frame F1 mount, I believe.

thank you again for your help,

Agree, 1ph cap start induction motors tend to drop out of run at low rpm and/or on load.
Especially a Triac controller would not cut it.
You could go with a DC T.M. motor and controller, although being much larger, torque wise, it would be physically smaller than your 2pole 1/3rd HP motor.
Another alternative is a smaller DC motor and one of the Really cheap 555 based PWM DC motor controllers on ebay.
M.

Attachments

• KL1205A.pdf
    528.1 KB · Views: 32

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Also shaft size is sometimes an issue, another option is to get another face mount motor and make up a mounting flange to suit.
M.