Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multi-channel sound output for Mac?

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
Hello all :)

I've been working on kickstarting DJing (if you must know, dubstep) and was going to start playing at a few friends' parties and what-not.

Problem is, where I'm going to be synthesizing primarily is on my Mac, which also has all the software & hardware capability for running the DAWs and stuff to that effect, and my Mac does not have the channel inputs for mounting a 5.1 speaker arrangement (5 table speakers & a subwoofer).

Most 5.1 arrangements I've seen for PC use have 3 standard 3.5mm jack inputs - a green channel for the 5 tables, a orange channel for the subwoofer & a black channel for the external channel controller which controls external audio levels & probably the level for the subwoofer as well. My Mac only has the one green 3.5mm jack for headphone output.

Truth is, I feel very uncomfortable routing 5 speakers through one green 3.5mm jack primarily designed for small, low-wattage headphones, and that's besides the point - you simply cannot DJ with dubstep well without a subwoofer :p

Does anyone know of a sound card or converter device for a Mac that would operate by USB / the one 3.5mm jack that would allow for control (and halfway decent control at that) of 3 independent channels of sound? Or does anyone else have any other suggestions?

TIA,
Solidus

Solidus

Jun 19, 2011
I was able to find a good amount of hopefuls & get a good amount of research done.

I just have one concern - compatibility.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card - That's the one I'm looking at, and it specifies it works with Vista and 7 - both Windows systems.

To the best of <anyone who feels qualified to reply>'s knowledge, are these things typically plug n' play? i.e. Will this unit work with my Mac to at least a moderate extent (will it route the sound - I don't need any of the specialized EQ controls as I have DAW synths & EQs that will do that for me)?

Thanks

Reaper_666

Aug 12, 2011
I was able to find a good amount of hopefuls & get a good amount of research done.

I just have one concern - compatibility.

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Sound Card - That's the one I'm looking at, and it specifies it works with Vista and 7 - both Windows systems.

To the best of <anyone who feels qualified to reply>'s knowledge, are these things typically plug n' play? i.e. Will this unit work with my Mac to at least a moderate extent (will it route the sound - I don't need any of the specialized EQ controls as I have DAW synths & EQs that will do that for me)?

Thanks

yea it does work for Mac mate i just did a little research and found a forum where someone said this " Actually the SB X-Fi 5.1 Surround DOES work for Mac. I just bought mine and connected it to my Logitech X540 and it works like a charm. Only thing that doesn't work is the volume control. You have to set it up using the Audio MIDI Setup BTW. I'm using Snow Leopard, so i'm not sure if it'll work on older versions of Mac OS. "