Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multicolored Christmas ornaments repair

mkuehlok2

Dec 16, 2014
Has anyone ever had any success in finding the small, circular circuit boards with multicolored LEDs used in small Christmas ornaments? They are usually three or four colors and change from one color to the next to the next. Yes, I know that they are cheap and you can replace them but 1) My mom has some favorites that she would really like fixed 2) You can't always get new ones that are the same as your old favorites and 3) I like putzing with stuff. I'm interested in several types: The ones that you can plug into mini light strings, 3v that run off two AA batteries, and 4.5v that run off of three AA batteries. I would imagine that if you find a place that would carry one, it would carry them all. Thanks!

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
You may have better luck making your own.

The parts list is pretty simple, you just need a little creativity and a willingness to learn.

Do yourself and us a favour and post a picture for us to see. At the very least, we through some more ideas your way and if anything stick you can run with it!

mkuehlok2

Dec 16, 2014
Thanks Gryd3. But I suddenly find myself in a dilemma. I was going to take a picture of the lights, but SOMEONE in my house must have considered it junk and threw it away. Junk!!! Can you believe it??? Just because it doesn't work doesn't make it junk, does it? Anyway, the electrical gremlins got even, and a brand new ornament that was just bought last week went out already (at least the blue light did) so I have another one waiting to be fixed. However, I am not allowed to touch it until after the Christmas season, so I will have to wait until the beginning of the year before I can take it apart and post a picture. Thanks again, and I'll get back in a month.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
Thanks Gryd3. But I suddenly find myself in a dilemma. I was going to take a picture of the lights, but SOMEONE in my house must have considered it junk and threw it away. Junk!!! Can you believe it??? Just because it doesn't work doesn't make it junk, does it? Anyway, the electrical gremlins got even, and a brand new ornament that was just bought last week went out already (at least the blue light did) so I have another one waiting to be fixed. However, I am not allowed to touch it until after the Christmas season, so I will have to wait until the beginning of the year before I can take it apart and post a picture. Thanks again, and I'll get back in a month.
Haha! of course!

In the mean time, google around and look at things like the 'BlinkM'
You can also do a little searching into programming microcontrollers to control LEDs. LOTS of stuff out there for this.
Parts are very cheap, and if you program it yourself, you dictate how many LEDs, what kind of patterns, etc. Can be fun to dive into.