Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Multimeter not sensing voltage, resistance, etc.

Pubb

Apr 22, 2013
Mastech MAS343. Approximately 2 years old. No drops, dunks, spills, etc. was in storage for a long time (1 year) without use. Battery was dead, but did not leak. Battery has since been replaced.

Device powers on, display and backlight work as expected, device beeps appropriately, etc.

When voltage readings are selected, device continuously read 0V. When resistance is selected, displays reads infinite resistance "O.L MΩ" Replacing probes with known good probes had no affect.

Fuse seems to be intact but its a paper-tube variety so I can't see if its been tripped. The tube is still bright white for whatever that's worth. I don't have a meter to check it :p

Regards for any troubleshooting help.

P

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Are you certain you have the leads plugged into the correct sockets?

Pubb

Apr 22, 2013
As sure as I can be.

The read lead is in the red jack marked "V/Ω" and the black lead is in the black COM jack.

Just out of curiousity, what would happen if the fuse was blown? Would the device even power on? Would I get odd results like I am getting?

P

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Sounds right...

Since the current measurements sound like they use a different socket, a blown fuse would probably not affect the voltage or resistance ranges.

I would look to see if a lead to one of these sockets has broken off, or if there is any other obvious physical damage.

Brian Ski

Apr 19, 2013
Sounds like the fuse. Do you have a friend with a meter that could test the fuse??? Or try an electronic part store. They could check the fuse for you. The fuse usually pops when you are testing something in the wrong range.