Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My baby girl wet my laptop. I want to learn how to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_gomez

Aug 19, 2016
My little 2 year old love of my life daughter spilled some water on my laptop. I was tired and lazy and just poured it out and went to sleep. the next day i opened it and noticed only very little water, a few drops. It was mostly dry. However the laptop will not power on. I didn't want to just buy a motherboard or battery and fix it the easy way. I decided i can learn how to fix it myself. So i ordered some books and an Elegoo Mega 2560 Ultimate starter kit. I will start reading the books and joined this forum to learn. The books I got are: Practical Electronics for Inventors Fourth Edition, How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic Second Edition, and Getting Started in Electronics. Are there any other books you recommend? Any tips on how to start looking for the bad component on my laptop? I'm really excited to fix this on my own, I don't care how long it takes to learn. Send tips my way, 100% noob here.

mikey5791

Jun 7, 2013
Hi Alex,

What is the name and model of your laptop? Try NOT to power on the laptop as
there might be some leftover moisture that may act as conductor and short circuit
other components. Then you end up with more damage parts.

First thing is to remove your laptop battery. Then get a guide online on how to dissamble your laptop.....carefully and make sure you take good clear photos of each step for you to remember which part goes where. After dissambling, use a hair dryer to blow away any visible excess moist, air dry the pcb board for few days for complete dry. Then we see what is next.

Photos of your top and bottom of your laptop pcb board is helpful.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
My little 2 year old love of my life daughter spilled some water on my laptop. I was tired and lazy and just poured it out and went to sleep. the next day i opened it and noticed only very little water, a few drops. It was mostly dry. However the laptop will not power on. I didn't want to just buy a motherboard or battery and fix it the easy way. I decided i can learn how to fix it myself. So i ordered some books and an Elegoo Mega 2560 Ultimate starter kit. I will start reading the books and joined this forum to learn. The books I got are: Practical Electronics for Inventors Fourth Edition, How to Diagnose and Fix Everything Electronic Second Edition, and Getting Started in Electronics. Are there any other books you recommend? Any tips on how to start looking for the bad component on my laptop? I'm really excited to fix this on my own, I don't care how long it takes to learn. Send tips my way, 100% noob here.
I hate to say, but that could have sealed the fate of your laptop...
In any 'water' related spill event, first action should always be to 'remove all sources of power!'
AC/DC adaptor, and batteries.
Second step is to *never* power up the device before confirming 'everything' is dry.

So, please do yourself a huge favour and remove all power sources now.
Cross your fingers that the moisture/water in the laptop shorted something easily replaceable and begin the disassembly of your laptop.
This may be a very lengthy process... there may be no obvious signs of damage so once you get your photos taken, the most likely next step will be to inspect EVERYTHING, and once dry, connect power and check key points on the board to see if the connected power is going through as expected.

alex_gomez

Aug 19, 2016
sorry been busy working, worst comes to worst i will buy a new mobo. i didn't power it on and its dry by now. will get to it today.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Some very good points raised by both Mikey and Gryd3. Keep us posted on your progress. Don't just buy a mobo yet, check it out first.

Martin

martin de jong

Jun 19, 2017
The best cause of action to take when this happens is to flush all the moisture (dirty water) out with distilled clean water, then blow it dry with a hair dryer and let it dry up further for a couple of days before even attempting to power it up again. Dirty water is electrically conductive, and even a tiny bit of it can cause a short circuit somwhere that stops the motherboard from working, especially when moisture gets underneath a ball-grid array socket.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
The best cause of action to take when this happens is to flush all the moisture (dirty water) out with distilled clean water, then blow it dry with a hair dryer and let it dry up further for a couple of days before even attempting to power it up again. Dirty water is electrically conductive, and even a tiny bit of it can cause a short circuit somwhere that stops the motherboard from working, especially when moisture gets underneath a ball-grid array socket.

this thread is getting towards a year old and the OP never returned
always take note of the tread response dates before replying to something quite old :)

thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.