Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My GTX 780 capacitor is burned is there a way to fix it?

samwitch

Mar 22, 2021
So my GTX 780 has a burned capacitor and it doesn't show any signal from the monitor, sometimes it shows a blue screen of death, last time when it work it has artifacts for example like green lines. So i wonder would i be able to fix it?
Is there a way like using the heat gun/baking method? Do i have to remove the old capacitor and solder it with a new one?
The gpu is a Zotac GTX 780 amp edition.
Someone said, "It's a tantalum capacitor. if you can remove it, you can replace it, maybe with another type of tantalum capacitor, not surface mounted one." What type of tantalum capacitor should I use? can I use a different type of capacitor?
Thanks in advance!

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Do i have to remove the old capacitor and solder it with a new one?
Definitely.
What type of tantalum capacitor should I use?
Same capacity as the old one, voltage rating at least the same or higher. Must fit the PCB land pattern.
can I use a different type of capacitor?
Can't be said with certainty. If you get a ceramic capacitor with matching ratings it will probably work. An electrolytic capacitor will probably be too bulky and have too high ESR, not suitable.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
If you get a ceramic capacitor with matching ratings it will probably work.

Tantalums are polarised, ceramics are not ;)

What type of tantalum capacitor should I use?

the same type ... is there anything left of the old one to identify it's value ?
Do you have a schematic for this unit ?, have your tried searching for one online ?

@73's de Edd has an uncanny knack of finding obscure schematics, lets see if he responds to my call :)

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
Sir samwitch . . . . .
capacitor . . .capacitor . . . CAPACITOR . . . CAPACITOR !
Whassamattahyou ?
I don't sees no'se capacitor . . . . You thanks that thar is only one of 'em in that thar unit . . . . . give us both, a mid and closeup picture of it !
Until you do . . .you're jes' working with one mass of blind assistors . . .with you being their potential assistee.

73's de Edd . . . . .

Last edited: