Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My Modified Router

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
I Dont even know why im posting this but who cares xD might aswell
(if i am in the wrong category please let me know)

Hi! this is my first post on electronics point so i guess ill introduce myself.
my name is christian and i am a year 11 student studying electrotechnology and information software technology. i have loved electronics for as long as i can remember. i love solving problems and helping others, although i dont have much free time i usually use it up building circuits and modifying electronics Which leads me into my first post

(before i start i am open to constructive criticism. please if you have any suggestions let me know)
this is a netgear WGR614v6 and i have done a variety of things to it including

-Boosting the wifi signal output
-adding green "neon" LED's to the inner casing
-changing the antenna to a new D-link High Performance Antenna
-Flashing the firmware to DD-WRT
-Mini "UPS" system (Currently i am not able to charge the battery any suggestions?)
- a mildly better cooling solution

Let me know what you think!! :)
If you want more detail's please let me know IMG_1060.JPG IMG_1058.JPG IMG_1057.JPG IMG_1055.JPG IMG_1056.JPG IMG_1059.JPG

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
-Boosting the wifi signal output
I think modifying an FCC type-approved product is "risky business" unless you are licensed to do this sort of thing.

Oh, wait! No FCC in Australia, so I guess anything goes... perhaps @davenn (our resident microwave expert) can chime in with an opinion on this.

Welcome to EP, Christian! I like Monster Zero Ultra, cut sometimes with Canada Dry Diet Ginger Ale.

KeithM

Nov 3, 2015
Cool project! I want to do that sometime, maybe even build my own router from an open-source kit so I have more control over it :)

Does your name "LightShow" have anything to do with the spectrum cycling Razer BlackWidow in the background? ;)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
so, are you changing the power through software settings or a hardware mod?

I'd probably add heatsinks to the chips which run at elevated temperatures.

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
Does your name "LightShow" have anything to do with the spectrum cycling Razer BlackWidow in the background? ;)
Haha yes and no, the name comes from me allways putting LED's and lights in my projects :)

LightShow :)

LightShow

Jun 9, 2016
so, are you changing the power through software settings or a hardware mod?
The router runs a modified version DD-WRT which allows me to modify anything really so the "boosting" is done through a software mod :)

I'd probably add heatsinks to the chips which run at elevated temperatures.
I was thinking about it but could not find heatsink's small enough to go on the chip without hitting the roof. it would most likely run alot better with heatsink's to be honest. Im guessing i have to hunt ebay??

LightShow :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, there's plenty of small heatsinks on ebay. You can simply epoxy them to the top of the chips.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Just a very thin smear of epoxy.

If you use thermal paste the epoxy won't stick :)

thermal paste is simply designed to fill the small voids that would otherwise be filled with air. The epoxy will do the same job. The main difference is that thermal paste is not a permanent adhesive.

shumifan50

Jan 16, 2014
Hi,
This is of interest. Could you test whether this increased your range while maintaining the same throughput? I ask this because boosting the wifi signal might also boost noise (which does not affect it at design levels). Someone with more knowse than me might be able to help here.
But I do think a test would be great.