Maker Pro
Maker Pro

My Project motor driver Smoked what driver i really need ?

Karimhes

Oct 18, 2014
Hey All
Well yesterday i was testing my Robot Truck it didn't move at first until i increased the speed to the maximum it started moving for 5 seconds then my encoder smoked after that happened i didn't understand the meaning of stall current until then so here is what the data sheet look like:
nqU3yxn.png

I did drive using a this encoder :
dagu-4-channel-brushed-dc-motor-controller.jpg

Which smoked the maximum output amp was 4.5A
Can you help me guys choosing the right motor driver ?
and can i use a 2A H-bridge + a relay to drive this motor ?
Thanks.

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
None of the parts on that board have any heatsink and none of them look like they will handle anything more than 1 amp.

Arouse1973

Adam
Dec 18, 2013
That looks like the Rover 5 Dagu 4 channel motor controller with encoder support if I am not mistaken :eek:. H-Bridge MOSFET rated at 4 Amps per channel. Were you using the current sense capability of the motor drive PCB when this happened?
Adam

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
None of the parts on that board have any heatsink and none of them look like they will handle anything more than 1 amp.
Not nowadays! Technology has been moving forward, as usual. Check out the specs for the Vishay Si4448DY-T1-E3 N-channel MOSFET in SO-8 package:

SI4448DY.png

At 1.7 mΩ RDS(on), even at 10A continuous, it will only dissipate 0.17 watts. No heatsink needed!

This one is the best SO-8 device I could find at Digi-Key, and it's not cheap - USD 1.52 in reel quantity. But there are lots of somewhat less impressive devices available for under USD 1.00 in 1-off quantities.

Karimhes

Oct 18, 2014
That looks like the Rover 5 Dagu 4 channel motor controller with encoder support if I am not mistaken :eek:. H-Bridge MOSFET rated at 4 Amps per channel. Were you using the current sense capability of the motor drive PCB when this happened?
Adam
you are right and the pcb smoked after the car moved for about 6 seconds

Not nowadays! Technology has been moving forward, as usual. Check out the specs for the Vishay Si4448DY-T1-E3 N-channel MOSFET in SO-8 package:

View attachment 16497

At 1.7 mΩ RDS(on), even at 10A continuous, it will only dissipate 0.17 watts. No heatsink needed!

This one is the best SO-8 device I could find at Digi-Key, and it's not cheap - USD 1.52 in reel quantity. But there are lots of somewhat less impressive devices available for under USD 1.00 in 1-off quantities.
Thanks a lot , that solve the problem i will order them as soon as i can .

KrisBlueNZ

Sadly passed away in 2015
Nov 28, 2011
Thanks a lot , that solve the problem i will order them as soon as i can .
NO NO NO!

That was just an example of a high power MOSFET, in response to Colin's comment. It's not related to your problem!

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
The manual for this says......

Power connectors:
The PCB has two power connectors. One is +5V for logic (Vcc) and one for the motor
power supply. The motor power supply should not be connected without first
connecting the +5V for logic. This device is rated for a maximum motor supply voltage
of 12V. Exceeding this voltage may permanently damage the device.

So just wondering if you followed the instructions with reference to this.

Before it was smoked that is......

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
It is very simple. You need a motor controller that can handle the stall current.

Bob